Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter woke up with one bloodshot red eye. Our doctor

my daughter woke up with one bloodshot red eye. Our doctor gave her drops but saw no infection.No itching or oozing. She does remember splashing a few drops of Clinique Clarifying lotion inher eye the day before. Should she stop the antibiotic drops and just wait for it to clear?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your daughter has a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Customer:

So you don't think it could be the alcohol/glycerin based clariying lotion?

Dr. Rick :

No. I don't

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Customer:

The doctor did put some orange drops in her eye and used a light to determine there were no scratches

Dr. Rick :

I think it's "cute" how general docs like to play ophthalmologist......I don't understand it. I don't play general doc by treating heart attacks :)

Dr. Rick :

Save the drops for something else....they are a waste of time for this condition.

Customer:

Haha. Well said. so the veiny quality to the redeye is part of it

Dr. Rick :

yes

Customer:

thank you so much. Btw, is this the same as 'broken blood vessel'?

Customer:

oh wait..u said that. never mind. Thank you and have a nice night!

Dr. Rick :

I guess that means I have to split the payment with you, eh? lol!

Dr. Rick :

yes, it is.

Customer:

Very clever. Smart AND funny.

Dr. Rick :

You too....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

No tips though

Dr. Rick :

Now, tell my wife that, please.

Dr. Rick :

ok.