Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What are the chances medically speaking of being born with

what are the chances medically speaking of being born with congenital cataract on my right eye causing 65% visiual loss and a retinal coloboma (or birthmark) coverinng 97% of my retina in that eye effectivley making it blind?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I can't give you a number off the top of my head, but it would be very rare.

Dr. Rick :

Also, a coloboma of 97% of your retina? I've never seen a coloboma that large, so I would put the chance of that at very, very unlikely.

Dr. Rick :

also, if you had untreated congenital cataracts that were large enough to block your vision you would have significant associated amblyopia......

Customer:

i read that having congenital cataratcs in the first place is about one in 10,000, i couldnt even put a number on a birthmark covering the retina in the seperate eye, i am also upset because i cannot get a drivers license or anything like that yet i also cannot claim disability benefits and have to pay full travel, do you know what would constitue having disability benifits

Dr. Rick :

In the USA you are considered legally blind if you are unable to see the 20/200 line on the standard eye chart with your best glasses in place.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure what it is in Australia.

Dr. Rick :

I find it hard to believe that you have a coloboma covering 97% of your retinal surface. That just does't make sense from an embryological point of view

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no it doesnt make sense to me as this is what has been advised to me by my optimitrist and by reading my medical records

You need to see an ophthalmologist. Optometrists don't have enough training, in my opinion, to be able to diagnose the conditions you are talking about. Also, if you had a coloboma of 97% of your retina in one eye, that eye would be blind.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
but my right eye is rated at 6/15 with my glasses on, i am told i am in a paradox where i cant drive and whatnot but i am not 'disabled' as such, my grieveance is the government wont let me drive, yet they wont give me travel concessions
You are correct. That doesn't make much sense. But Governments tend to act like that....
I believe your best bet is to be examined by an ophthalmologist and have her write a letter stating exactly what is going on with your eyes and what limitations you have due to your vision. Then approach the people at the driver license division/travel concessions division and see what they have to say. You may even have to hire a lawyer who specializes in these types of cases to help you.