How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick Your Own Question
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 11360
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother is 80 and cannot read because of double vision.

This answer was rated:

My mother is 80 and cannot read because of double vision. She uses a magnifying glass to read and has to close one eye shut to do so. She has had cataract surgery a couple of years ago and has had 5 different eye glass persriptions to correct this with no luck. She has also seen a retinol specialist who didn't help. What can we do? Thanks!
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The person best trained to deal with double vision, that may be causes by eye crossing etc, is a pediatric ophthalmologist. Not only do they deal with kids but the deal with double vision problems too.

Dr. Rick :

A simple solution to this complex problem is to wear a patch over one eye or put scotch tape over the lens of her glasses on one side. This treats the symptoms but, of course, doesn't address the underlying problem.


ok, thanks, ***** ***** that a try.

Dr. Rick and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you