Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

A spot has appeared on one of my eyes. It is shaped like a

Customer Question
toadstool, outlined in a...
A spot has appeared on one of my eyes. It is shaped like a toadstool, outlined in a black line and brightly coloured in white ( not unlike a laser beam ). As I increase the distance of focus ( looking further away) the spot increases in size and conversely.
At the location of the spot on a computer screen the letter at the spot is illegible.
What is it ? Should I do anything about it? I've had this spot for about a week.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
6/10/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are having an ocular migraine.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

In 20 minutes to a hour or so your vision will return to normal. You may, or you may not, get a headache after that.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

I don't have a migraine. It's a permanent spot just off centre to the field of vision and that's all. Are you still confident that your've identified the problem ?

Customer:

I don't think I'm having a migraine. All that is is a spot the centre of which is bright and obscuring. Would this

Dr. Rick :

Not if it is not changing....

Customer:

What would you think now?

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry I misunderstood your issue. I believe it is more likely that you have some bleeding inside your eye, perhaps under your retina, or a partial retinal detachment in progress.

Dr. Rick :

What time/day is on your side of the planet?

Customer:

yes I think that's worth considering. What would you suggest I do now?

Dr. Rick :

See an ophthalmologist ASAP. Being examined by a GP in the ER or an optometrist will be of limited help in this case. It is almost midnight here, Thursday night. Does that mean it is early Friday AM in Australia?

Customer:

It's 2:57 pm in Australia on the Eastern coast.

Dr. Rick :

OK. Friday I guess.....you need to be seen today. By the way, since you are from the future, could you check how some stocks are going to do tomorrow for me? lol!

Customer:

stocks has risen slightly.

Dr. Rick :

:) but which ones?

Dr. Rick :

All kidding aside, do you best to get an ophthalmologist to give you a complete exam before the end of business today. Sorry about my earlier misunderstanding......

Customer:

Now that's quite alot of work to supply you with all that!. Mining stocks are up.

Dr. Rick :

You are a very, very funny guy =)

Dr. Rick :

And a pleasure to chat with.

Customer:

Thank you and goodbye

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck to you. Take care.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD