Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am having cataract surgery soon but want to know how

Customer Question
having a new lens that...
I am having cataract surgery soon but want to know how having a new lens that is long sighted in the dominant eye and a short sighted lens in the other eye will affect my ability to use my camera after the surgery. I recently had an exhibition in Sydney & Wollombi and I want to be sure that my use of the camera will still be as good as or even better after the surgery.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
6/9/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Monovision, setting up one eye for near and one eye for far, is a very good idea with one catch: Before you have this done by the surgical implantation of a lens in your eye you should try it with contact lenses. If you use your other eye to focus on your subject, much like a hunter does when looking through a rifle scope, as you look through the view finder, you may not like this option.

Dr. Rick :

Of course with digital cameras you may no longer hold the camera body up to your eye, in which case being able to see the camera screen without glasses may be a real plus.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

Something seems to be going wrong with the chat system....it keeps rebooting on my end.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I'm still here. Just type and hit 'send' and our messages will go back and forth, a lot like text messaging.
Thanks for the accept. Did you get your question answered or did you hit the Pretty Green Button early by mistake?
I'm still here and available to help you.
It's 3:30 am here and the dog got me up to go out when I saw your question so I was thinking of going back to bed :o)
But, I don't want to leave you hanging if you still want to discuss your issue in more detail.
Let me know what you would like to do. If I don't hear from you in few moments I'll check back in 4 hours when I get ready to go to the office.....
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD