Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had the same eye prescription for 10 years (OD:-2.00,

Hi, I had the same...
Hi, I had the same eye prescription for 10 years (OD:-2.00, OS:-2.25) and I was seeing perfectly with it up to three years ago, when I started noticing some blur vision, difficulty to read scores of sport games on the tv, and when driving the smaller signs (like the parking ones or the name of the streets were not very clear)... At my annual eye exam, after expressing this concern to my optometrist, he told me that my prescription has not changed. This continued for 3 exams in a row...
This year, I told my optometrist that it makes no sense that I need the same prescription, since I cannot see as clearly, and he gave me (OD:-2.25, OS:-2.50). I still could not see clearly enough with them, so I got another opinion.
The new optometrist, after an exam during which I never saw a sharp clear 20/20 line, told me that my prescription needs a very light change, but he suggest I use (OD:-2.00, OS:-2.25).
So I went to another optometrist and he told me that my current glasses are too strong. During the exam the lens I could see perfectly with (past the 20/20 mark) and I ask what those lenses were. It was (OD:-1.00, OS:-1.50) but the optometrist told me that it is not common to diminish lenses that much, and gave me another prescription as he also found astigmatism in my eyes (OD:-1.50, -0.50, 180, OS:-1.75, -0.50, 180)... I tried both those prescriptions (the later for astigmatism and the first regular) and I still had the same vision type.
So I decided to seek another opinion, and the last optometrist found the astigmatism as well, but suggested I tried it over-corrected (OD:-2.00, -0.50, 180, OS:-2.25, -0.50, 180)... And Still not a clear detailed image.
At this point I have no idea what to do. I have no health issue (diabetes, blood pressure, or anything) none of the optometrists found anything wrong with the eyes (I am 32 and in pretty good health overall)... I am just fead-up of guessing what something says...
Any advice? Should I just stick to a prescription and maybe my eye will get use to it, for I do see almost the same with all those pairs :(
Thanks
6/8/2011
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes I am and thanks for the time invested on this

Doctor DanB :

It sounds as though you've seen enough optometrists, quite frankly. I think the time has come for you to have a thorough medical evaluation of the eyes as there is something that all of these optometrists are missing.

Doctor DanB :

To that end, I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist. An ophthalmologist is trained to find the medical/surgical and optical diseases of the eye and fix all of the above. They can do what your optometrist can do and more.

Customer:

So I should give up on finding the right prescription?

Doctor DanB :

No, I don't think you should, but this is something the ophthalmologist can independently discover and that will allow you to find the absolute correct prescription and/or verify what you've already received. It may be that you had the correct prescription and that for another reason altogether you are not seeing well.

Customer:

Right... but is it something common to have issues with a lens prescription? Like the one that I saw perfectly (according to me that is) the -1.00OD and -1.50Os, how come when I wear the lenses it does not work as well as it did in the exam?

Doctor DanB :

That could be related to the type of lenses/glasses you are purchasing (some people don't tolerate a switch in lens material or the way in which the lenses are made and this technology changes significantly in 10 years). It may be that the place your glasses are being made is not lining up the centers of the lenses with the center of your pupil. Did you actually get a pair of glasses with the -1.00 OD and -1.50 OS prescription?

Customer:

Yes I did, and I was seeing almost the same as I did with all the other pairs... I can get buy pretty well, I can read from far the big letters, but it blurs on the smaller ones... Should I try the -1.00 and -1.50 in astigmatic? Would it be a bad thing?

Doctor DanB :

No, it wouldn't be a bad thing, but I think you will still continue to swing at dung in the dirt, so to speak. I think seeing the ophthalmologist is going to be a far more effective use of your time and money rather than trying yet another pair of glasses. I think that something else may be going on here that tinkering with glasses just may not fix.

Doctor DanB :

I have to leave my desk for 5 minutes, but I will be right back.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

So I'll go see an ophthalmologist, what should I expect him to find?

Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately there could be a myriad of things he finds. Anything from corneal problems, to tear-film problems to retinal problems.

Doctor DanB :

Chances are he finds nothing significant, but will assess the situation from a different vantage point which is what you need most I think.

Customer:

I see. thanks for your time then!

Doctor DanB :

Any other questions I can help you with?

Customer:

I don't know... I'm thinking, when I put on a pair of glasses (or contacts) if the prescription is right one, should I see super-clearly right away? Or do I need to wear them for some time for the eye to adjust?

Doctor DanB :

For glasses that are minimally changed from prior prescriptions, usually the adjustment is short-lived, maybe 3-4 days. If there is significant change such as adding or subtracting significant near-sightedness and/or astigmatism, it can take up to a week or so to get completely used to them. But it shouldn't take any longer than that; if so, something is not right.

Customer:

Thank you very much! Have a nice day

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.