Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My ophthalmologist just told me I had fibrosis in my left

Customer Question
eye. I am 66years old...
My ophthalmologist just told me I had fibrosis in my left eye. I am 66years old .What now?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
6/6/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Not sure what the doc meant by 'fibrosis'. Is your vision affected by this condition? Could you tell me a little bit more? Where is the fibrosis? Behind your lens? Cornea? Retina (macula)?

Dr. Rick :

Did the ophthalmologist suggest any treatments?

Dr. Rick :

My system shows that you have entered the chat area. Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

I guess the system must have got stuck.....see you at the Q&A section.

Where is the Qand A section
That is what we are in now....the chat system froze up on us :(
This is now like text messaging. We will each get an email when the other responds.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
You paid me too early, not that I'm complaining of course.... lol!
So. Can you give me more information about the fibrosis? I owe you an excellent answer to your question....
I'm still here and want to give you a good answer. It would be helpful if you could provide some of the information requested above, or anything you know about the fibrosis/eye condition you are suffering from.
My doc said it was benign and I shouldnt panic .my macula was fine .I think he was referring to my corne .He sid there was a pucker.
Is there a differece between fibers on the lens as opposed to the cornea
Ok. Thanks for that information.
He is most likely talking about macular pucker. This is a condition where "fibrosis", for lack of a better term, forms on the surface of your retina (the photosensitive part of your eye) and causes it to wrinkle.
If the wrinkles get bad enough it can lead to decreased vision, much like crumpled up film would give low quality pictures. Treatment is usually not recommended unless the vision has dropped to the 20/40ish level on the eye chart. Once it reaches this stage there are treatments available, such as surgery.
You doctor, obviously, doesn't believe your condition is very advanced and, rightly so, elected to observe things for now.
Does this make sense to you? If not, let me know as I am -- truly -- in your debt at the moment :o)
fibrosis of the posterior capsule (behind the lens), on the cornea or involving the retina are all very, very different conditions,
Is there anything else you would like to ask me?
My father who was100 years old this june first has macular dgeneration and I make my living as a artist.This kind of thing has always concerned me.
This is not the same as macular degeneration, although it affects the same part of the retina (macula). All the things you might worry about concerning your fathers condition do not apply to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD