Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have a history of an occasional aurra (sp?) without

I have a long history of an occasional aurra (sp?) without migraine headache over my right eye which has always lasted an hour or two only and only partially blocked my vision. Today my right eye has been blocked almost completely for five hours. I can see lights but barely make out forms. Sometimes it starts to clear but then returns. Aspirin has not helped. Suggestions please.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

can you help me?

Dr. James :

Hello. Yes.

Customer:

please

Dr. James :

Has the vision returned in that eye?

Customer:

no, it is like looking though gauze

Customer:

*through

Customer:

i can see bits of this page

Dr. James :

What can you see through that eye?

Dr. James :

Can you see well enough to read?

Customer:

looks like gray lattice work with some irregular holes that let in light and some letters and words

Customer:

i can see only real well with my left eye

Dr. James :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

okay, thank you. . . how can i save this chat

Dr. James :

Just return to the link on the emails you get from us.

Customer:

also, is tthere anyway to clear it up today

Dr. James :

No, you would need to see an eye doctor for an exam. If an optometrist is open, you may consider getting in with them.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

\

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.