Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am 68 and my iris is dark, but now, the circumference of

Customer Question
I am 68 and my...
I am 68 and my iris is dark brown, but now, the circumference of the iris is a gray tone. What is the medical term for this and is there a vitamin or other substance that will
help bring the color back?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
6/4/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good news....this is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

It is called arcus senilis and is a very common condition in folks your age.

Dr. Rick :

In young patients it can sometimes be a sign of elevated blood cholesterol and may prompt the ophthalmologist to do some blood tests. In people over 50ish, however, no workup is needed.

Dr. Rick :

What causes it? It is from a slow, lifelong buildup of fatty material (cholesterol and phospholipids) the the stroma (meat) of the clear part of your eye (cornea). It will not affect your vision, it does not need any treatment and it will not go away.

Dr. Rick :

here is a good article on the topic:

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
To more directly address your question:
There is no dietary aid, no eye drop, no herb, no nothing that will affect this condition in any way, shape or form. Anybody or anything that tells you otherwise is just trying to relieve you of some cash and your children of their inheritance. ;o)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD