Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I noticed a floater yesterday, then I got a arc flipping by

Customer Question
I noticed a floater yesterday...
I noticed a floater yesterday, then I got a white arc flipping by once in a while. It seems narrower this morning. Should I get inot a Dr. of some kind? It's 55 miles to the closest.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/3/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from the floater and flash of light, do you still expereince any diminished vision in that eye? Is there any fogginess or blurrness of vision in that eye( such as looking through a veil or curtain) ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You seem to have gone offline now.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case I can give the possible explanation here. In the absence of reduced vision ( foggy or blurred) , the above symptoms of floaters and flashes of light are commonly seen in posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

PVD is a condition in which the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its retinal attachment as a result of aging. During this the retina gets irritated or kind of stretched and gives rise to the symptom of flashes of light. Once the vitreous gets detached , it gets clumped and gives rise to the symptom of floaters ( wavy line/cobwebs/black strings). It is otherwise a harmless condition which needs no further treatment except for the fact that very rarely it may induce tiny peripheral retinal tears. Now these retinal tears can be detected by a dilated eye exam and if found they can be safely sealed with lasers. If left alone the retinal tears have a remote tendency to get converted into a frank retinal detachment. The visual acuity remains more or less good except when obscured by a large floater.

In order to confirm the intactness of the peripheral retina it is better to get your eye examined by an ophthalmologist( but not an emergency as long as there are no sudden flashes of light or fogginess of vision).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To summarise, you can get your eye examined later by appointment just to look for the intactness of the peripheral retina. But in case there is any kind of reduced vision or persistent flashes of light( indicates retinal irritation or stretch), it is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist at the earliest.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions , if any.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
I'm available here for any further clarification.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist