Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My 23 yr old son has what looks like a busted blood vessell

in his left eye....
my 23 yr old son has what looks like a busted blood vessell in his left eye. His vision in his eye has gotten worse over the last two weeks and can not see much at all from that eye now. He does not have health insurance but we are concerned about what we should do or should we wait and see what happens.
Thank you for your help.
Lisa C.
Houston, Tx
6/3/2011
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes I am here

Doctor DanB :

Lisa, did your son have any surgery or trauma to that eye? Has he had any problems with that eye in the past? Does he wear glasses or contact lenses?

Doctor DanB :

Are you still there, Lisa?

Customer:

Its Austin, I took over the chat . I havent had any tramua or surgery for my left eye . I noticed the vision loss a couple weeks ago , when I closed my right eye and used only my left it is blurry and the color can seem slightly off

Customer:

I dont wear glasses or contacts, normally I have good vision

Doctor DanB :

How blurry is the vision? Can you see the ticker tape on the bottom of the TV? can you see an alarm clock? A street sign?

Customer:

today my left eye hurt slightly upon waking up (like there was something in it, but there wasnt ) and just now when I looked in the mirror it appears like there is a burst blood vessel on one eye . its blurry enough that I cannot read with it, but I can still see most everything else

Customer:

also the past few days, (im not sure if its related or not ) ive been feeling a tingling all over my body , as if there is adrenaline running though my body even at rest

Doctor DanB :

Does the redness look like a patch of blood or does it look like red cracks in the sidewalk? Is there any significant pain, sensitivity to light or discharge?

Customer:

it looks like a patch of blood at the end of a red crack

Customer:

not significant pain or discharge, some sensitivity to light

Doctor DanB :

Have you been rubbing the eye? Straining against a load (such as lifting anything heavy, sneezing, coughing, vomiting, or had a hard bowel movement)? Does the eye itch?

Customer:

I was rubbing it earlier today when it hurt, and this afternoon I went running, but saw nothing after those incidents

Customer:

it doesnt itch , just feels like something there is an eye lash in it, when there isnt

Doctor DanB :

Do you take any of the following: aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve, motrin, warfarin (aka coumadin), vitamin E, garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba?

Customer:

no

Customer:

I did take some workout suppliments today

Customer:

such as omega 3 and amino acids

Doctor DanB :

It sounds like what you experienced is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This essentially amounts to a bruise on the eye, except on the eye the tissue that the blood is underneath is transparent so you see the blood exactly the color it is, versus a bruise on your arm which is hiding beneath layers of skin.

There are things that can predispose to getting these hemorrhages. Warfarin (coumadin) is one of the most common drugs that cause this. However, taking aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, naprosyn can thin the blood and predispose to these. Also taking garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba and vitamin E can also thin the blood and predispose to getting these.

Also when there is significant pressure being generated in the eye or head, this can happen from that. Examples of this include eye rubbing, sneezing, coughing, lifting a heavy load or straining against a bowel movement. It can often be associated with a little bit of blurry vision, but shouldn't be significantly worse.

This can happen even if If you are not taking any of these medicines. If you begin having multiple episodes of this could be a sign of a bleeding problem and should be checked out by your primary care doctor.

In the meantime, if there is any eye discomfort, cool compresses and/or artificial tears can help alleviate your symptoms. As long as there has been no prior eye surgery or trauma, however, there is usually little cause for concern.

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

would a subconjunctival hemorrhage cause vision loss over a few weeks, and then sudden reddness ?

Customer:

it hasnt been red at all besides today

Doctor DanB :

No, it shouldn't cause loss over a few weeks. Has the vision loss been the only symptom over the last few weeks except for today?

Customer:

yes vision loss has been the only symptom up until today

Doctor DanB :

How did you first notice the vision loss?

Customer:

driving one day I closed my other eye and noticed blurriness and a color difference only in one eye

Doctor DanB :

Has the vision loss progressed since then?

Customer:

only slightly

Doctor DanB :

I don't think the vision loss that you noticed a few weeks ago and the symptoms you are experiencing today are related. I suspect that the vision in that eye has likely been that way for a little while now, but you've only recently just noticed. We often don't know exactly what the vision is in each eye because we don't check it by closing the other eye, and then when we have occasion to close the other eye, it can seem as though the vision loss just happened. I suspect that you've developed a need for glasses (or contact lenses). What you can do is take a piece of paper and poke a few 1mm diameter holes in it and look through one of those holes with that eye and see if the vision gets better. If it does, then that is the problem (that eye has developed a need for glasses). Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes, it does get slightly sharper when I look though a hole in a paper I just made with a pen

Doctor DanB :

That's the ticket, then. I suggest seeing your eye doctor to verify this and then have a complete eye examination to make sure there is nothing else wrong with that eye.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions that I can answer about this?

Customer:

no I think that should be okay , thank you

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you.

This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

No other concerns, thank you

Doctor DanB :

Good luck to you.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.