How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Stan Your Own Question
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2701
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Stan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

item is not straight- the item is okay if I close my right eye

Resolved Question:

When I look at a light post or anything standing the item is not straight- the item is okay if I close my right eye
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is possible that you are experiencing right eye visual distortion that can be caused by eye conditions such as macular degeneration, cornea degeneration, vitreous degeneration (melting and detachment of the clear gel inside the eye). Also, the presence of significant astigmatism in the right can cause the image of light post in the right eye to be distorted. Such astigmatism (irregularity in the focusing of the light rays from the light post) can be from the cornea irregularity or the development of cataract in the lens of the eye. If you have other medical problem such as diabetes or hypertension significantly affecting the back of the right eye, then objects focused at the back of the right eye could be distorted. To determined the specific caused of such problem, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation, including recheck of the refractive error for uncorrected astigmatism in the right eye, and detailed dilated eye examination. The most common cause of distorted image in person 65 years and older is macular degeneration. If the problem is macular degeneration, then the retinal eye doctor can use a combination of treatments to significant slow the progression of the problem. If there is significant astigmatism in the right eye, then accurate corrective glasses can be prescribed to resolved the problem. The most important step at this point is that you follow-up with the eye doctor for a detail eye examination.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you