Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I can see out of only one eye, which has eveloped Salzmanns

I can see out of only one eye, which has eveloped Salzmanns nodules. A Duke Eye Center physician has recommended acid application followed by PTK. How safe is this for me? I feel mostly constant irritation in my eye.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is an approved and long standing treatment for Salzman's nodular degeneration. It is a fairly safe treatment for this condition.

Dr. Rick :

I think you will do fine using this therapy to remove/smooth your corneal nodules.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question or would you like more information? Please let me know.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

I forgot to mention to you that my local ophthamologist recommends doing nothing at all as I am monocular. And the local cornea specialist (not at Duke) was ready to 'pinch off the nodule' immediately and use a corneal banage contact lens. I decided to go to Duke for another opinion. What about the chances of recurrence after PTK? Are they lower than they would be with a manual removal?

Customer:

Are you still on line with this chat session??

Dr. Rick :

No. The chance of recurrence is the same no matter how you take them off. The folks at Duke are some of the best in the country but, like you said, for a few days your only eye won't be good for much -- you'll need help getting around and doing things.

Dr. Rick :

Yup. Still here. Does your screen show when I'm typing? Mine (reportedly) shows when you are typing

Customer:

I know I will need help with getting around and will need some care. I would stay overnight at a hotel near Duke. But my main concern is the possiblilty of losing sight in this eye. And sorry about the misspelling--it is Systane Gel I use a lot. Is there a site where I can check out the safety record for PTK? And I can see when you are typing. I just noticed that at the bottom of my screen.

Dr. Rick :

Now it is my turn to ask if you are still there :o) They should hook up a camera to this thing, eh?

Customer:

Yes, I'm still here, and just wrote a message to you. Camera would be a great idea.

Customer:

Now I can't see that you are typing--just that 'expert is: IN CHAT'

Customer:

I'm not sure the Just Answer site works very well with Macs.

Dr. Rick :

I know. It is a Microsoft conspiracy.....

Dr. Rick :

Anything else I can do for you today.....The Wife is making up a Honeydoo list and I'm getting kinda worried ;)

Customer:

Is there a web site that will help me become informed about the general safety of the PTK procedure? Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

that is a good question. Let me check real quick. be right back.

Dr. Rick :

here is a small blurb: still looking.

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phototherapeutic_keratectomy

Dr. Rick :

Here is a pretty technical article that makes perfect sense to me lol!

Dr. Rick :

http://www.bcbsnc.com/assets/services/public/pdfs/medicalpolicy/phototherapeutic_keratectomy.pdf

Customer:

Thanks for your help and opinion. This is a tough decision for me. Now you can get on to the Honeydoo list.