Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

How does it take for your pupils to go down after being

how long does it take for your pupils to go down after being dialated at the eye doctor
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

4 to 6 hours, depending on the drops used. They should be back to normal by morning for sure......

Customer:

i got the drops at like 9 am

Dr. Rick :

Glad you went in to have things checked. Now you can sleep well tonight and my girls can go shoe shopping :) Thanks!

Dr. Rick :

Some folks stay dilated for most of the day......especially if you have dark iris'

Dr. Rick :

I see you have asked a bunch of questions here at just answer. Do you find the majority of them helpful or not?

Customer:

ha ha yea i have other problems though too i have blocked eustachian tubes and they want me to take prednisone scared to take it after reading about it i am still worried about my eye i asked if it can still detach he said maybe

Customer:

some

Dr. Rick :

Yes, but remember......a detached retina is a uncommon event....not to worry.

Customer:

that is because i have a 30 day package plan

Dr. Rick :

and steroids if used wisely and you are watched closely -- even by an ENT doc ;) -- you should be ok.

Dr. Rick :

I wonder how just answer makes any money on those.....

Dr. Rick :

Anyway, that issue is above my pay grade. I'm just happy to be a worker bee in a world of Queens.

Customer:

yea but my luck these days i have been having a bad couple months not usually unhealthy had pnemonia in feb that led to sinus infection then blocked eustachian tubes then the eye thing ent prescribed it

Customer:

where are you from

Dr. Rick :

I know what you mean. If I had known I'd live to be 50 I'd have taken better care of myself lol!

Dr. Rick :

Northern Wisconsin. I am the only retina specialist for a two hour drive in any direction.

Customer:

i am usually pretty ok that pnemonia took me for a loop pa here

Customer:

my friend is from wisconsin he just moved here not that long ago from there

Dr. Rick :

Keeps me busy...that is before I crashed my snowmobile a few months ago and shattered my wrist. I'm back to part time practice (much to the pleasure of my partner :) and doing just answer to keep from going stir crazy.....

Customer:

wow

Dr. Rick :

although now I find I enjoy it...might try to keep it up even when I get back to full time practice and surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Nice chatting with you. Take care and let me know if you have any other questions. Have a good day.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can i take the prndisone with the vitreous detachmnet
you can. the prednisone will have no affect whatsoever on your vitreous.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you sure i am so worried about the retna
I have been doing retina for almost two decades now.......I am sure :)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if it was going to detach would it have already or not yet
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well
As long as there is still traction on the retina from the PVD there is a risk of retinal detachment. How longs does that traction stay? Varies from patient to patient, however, as a rule of thumb, if you are no longer seeing any flashes of light you are probably safely out of the woods
....of course, you still need an ophthalmologist to check things out to be sure (otherwise how would we ever pay off our student loans?) =)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i did not see lights just a black little strand he said it was real small
That is good. Most likely then you are not having much traction on your retina so you risk of problems is low....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i just wait and see if it happens awful
Just remember while you wait: You have a very low chance of having any retinal problems, especially now since you have been seen by an ophthalmologist and she didn't find any issues.
Think you can sleep peacefully tonight knowing that?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yea but it just started sunday he just said come back if you have a problem scary it is like i am waiting
You really have nothing to be afraid of.......there is better then 9 chances out of 10 that there will be no problems. And since you have been examined your chances of having a problem are even smaller then that!
If your odds of winning the lottery were this good you would be a zillionaire!~
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what good is a exam when it can happen later
That is a very good question.....because it can catch a issue before it becomes a real problem..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not if the issue comes later how often do you see that after a exam they come back with it
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well you going to answer how often after you see someone and they are fine does the retna detach
Hi. I had to step away from my computer....
I usually see someone with a PVD back in 4 weeks, then 2 months after that, then in 6 months if needed, then yearly if everything looks OK
Remember. I am a retina doc, so my experience is skewed toward people with problems....so I see a lot of problems. But, like I've said, generally folks do not have retina problems after a PVD
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I meant how many of them after you see them and it is ok do they end up getting a retina problem after you see them
In general practice, less then 2 out of a hundred cases....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i just saw on line that whispy thread floaters are dangerous mine looks like a small black eyelash is that whispy thread ones

You should stop reading things online about floaters......you are just gonna get worried.
Trust me. You did the right thing. You talked to a retina specialist and had a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist......it just doesn't get any better then that.
You will be fine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is the difference between those and the others though if any
There is no difference. What the floater looks like makes no difference at all
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they said one comes from in back of the eye like mine by the retna
they all come from the same place....the vitreous cavity; right on top of the retina.