Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Can you give me some details and information on a

Can you give me some details and information on a Superficial Keratectomy eye surgery ??
RichardKahl Oceanside ca
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you know why your surgeon is suggestion you have this done?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes. He feels it would improve my eye sight

Customer:

Yes he feel it would improve my eye sight

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Are you there ??

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Sorry. I had to go drop off a car for my daughter.....kids.

Customer:

is this surgery done with Laser ? or othe instruments ??

Dr. Rick :

This is a surgery where the surgeon, usually a corneal specialist, "peels" off a layer of your cornea, much like taking apart an onion. It is usually done to remove superficial disease processes like nodules, scars etc.

Dr. Rick :

It is done with a special, not very sharp, knife.

Customer:

Have you done one of these ? How Many ??

Dr. Rick :

It can also be done with a laser like the one used for LASIK....in this case it is called PTK

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist so I've not done one of these since I was a resident in training.

Dr. Rick :

It is not a complicated surgery but, like I said, corneal specialists are usually the doctors who do this proceedure.

Customer:

What is the success rate when was tis establish ? How many have been completed ?

Dr. Rick :

It is very successful and, world wide over the last 40 years a huge number of them have been done with excellent results.

Dr. Rick :

I see you are from Oceanside. My sister lives just up the road from you.....

Customer:

i am at 1423 eastview c 2056 .

Dr. Rick :

Not too far away. That part of the world is too crowded for me....I live way, way up North in the National forest.....

Customer:

Howmant eye doctors can do this surgery ?

Dr. Rick :

thousands of them can. You should be able to find a dozen corneal specialist within an hours drive of your house (not including rush hour traffic :)

Customer:

When the comea is pealed off will it grow back again ?

Dr. Rick :

No. It will not.....and that is why your vision will be improved.

Customer:

why then is teir a coea arround by eye ??

Dr. Rick :

That didn't come through.....could you retype that?

Customer:

If the dr peals off the Comea and you says it does not grow in again then why did i have a Comea in the first place ??

Dr. Rick :

The doctor only peels off a very small part of the cornea.....maybe 1/20th the thickness. Just enough to smooth things out..... Your cornea is the "cover" over the front of your eye....without it you would not have an eyeball.

Customer:

I hre stories that some patiennts vison is improved however after a few years it changes for the worse

Dr. Rick :

That is possible. It depends on what the underlying issues are that lead to the surgery in the first place. Some of them come back....

Dr. Rick :

However, at 83, if you get 10 years of good vision out of the deal, that should work pretty well, eh?

Dr. Rick :

:)

Customer:

ok thanks for your opinion .

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

THanks Richard

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.