Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have been a (soft) contact wearer for 30 years. I have

Customer Question
I have been a (soft)...
I have been a (soft) contact wearer for 30 years. I have bi focals, one toric lens. Recently had vision issues and the optician says that I have been wearing contact lenses too much (actually been wearing them less which makes it confusing). Vision even with my glasses not good. The optician looked in my eyes with dye (twice over the last 3 weeks) and said "your eyes look like someone has been pricking them with an ice pick". (The second time was after a week of almost no contact lens use).
What could the issue be related to? Solution? (Recently changed to Replenish), thecontacts themselves? Eye makeup? Or just wear out caused by years of use?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
5/14/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a condition called SPK. This is usually secondary to a dry eye issue and/or an allergic reaction to proteins on the contact lenses.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is stop using the contacts and/or switch to a very high oxygen permeable type of lens while at the same time using preservative free artificial tear very frequently during the day.

Dr. Rick :

I also suggest you see an ophthalmologist for a full exam as a optician or even an optometrist are not adequately trained to deal with this issue.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
This was not a dialogue. Interesting thought but not a satisfying dialogue .
Too late at night
Sorry about that. We can pick this up tomorrow morning if you would like. I'm in the Central time zone. Let me know. Goodnight.
I see you pressed the accept button this morning. Do you want to continue discussing this issue? I'm still here to help even though you've already pressed that Pretty Green Button :)
Thank you! Just seeing if this issue can be remedied whilst not entirely giving up on the contacts.
Also wheter LASIK might be an answer.......
as I stated above, you can sometimes change to a highly oxygen permeable contact lens and not have to give up on contacts all together.
There is no reason LASIK wouldn't work for you, although it can make dry eyes worse :( Consult with a lasik surgeon to find out.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD