Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Age 62, Male. I've been wearing a pair of eyeglasses with

Age 62, Male. I've...
Age 62, Male. I've been wearing a pair of eyeglasses with progressive lenses. Due to the cataract symtom that developed a few years ago, I am having difficulty reading my computer screen, and street signs and etc. Is catract surgery the only solution? Or, can any food supplement or eye-drop cure the symptom?
What I have been doing:
I had my eyes checked for a catract surgery. The doctors concluded that my eyes can be fixed with a surgery. But, wanting to avoid a surgery as much as possible, I have been taking Eyemax Plus since June 2010. I am not sure about its effect. My catract does not seem to worsen, but it does not seem to get better as their advertisement said. I also saw some "no catract surgery" eye-drops advertisement (predominatnly Europeans). I have not tried that, yet. I am wondering whether there are cases where cataract patients had any success without the surgery. If so, how?
5/12/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I can tell you without equivocation that the food supplement and "no cataract surgery" eye drops are a total waste of money.

Dr. Rick :

Nothing you can eat and no drop that you place in your eye will have any effect whatsoever on your cataract.

Dr. Rick :

I would recommend having a second complete eye exam by another ophthalmologist and, if she recommends surgery, and you are no longer able to do the things you want or need to due because of decreased vision, then you should proceed with removal of your cataract.

Dr. Rick :

The only way to get rid of a cataract is to have it surgically removed.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

standingdesk :

Thank you for your conclusive answer. In plain English tems: what is catract? Why is it developing with aging? And what are the reasons that the only cure is by surgery? Many say that it can be done only once. Is that true? With further aging after surgery, what measures can I take to prevent reoccuring of cataract?

standingdesk :

???

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
I see you are online....I'm still here if you would like to discuss this further.
A cataract is changes in the natural lens inside your eye. It becomes cloudy and "harder" due to a lifetime of exposure to UV light and do to continued growth. It is a natural process in the vast majority of cases.
Once a cataract is removed it never comes back. After the surgery, however, the "bag" left inside your eye to hold the artificial lens may become cloudy (some people wrongly say this is the cataract coming back). This can be treated with a simple laser treatment in the office....and, it too, almost never comes back after laser treatment.
As I said, even if you live to be 110 after removal of your cataract it will not come back.
Does this make sense to you?
Here is a picture of the eye. You can see the lens behind the pupil. This is what gets cloudy and then is called a cataract. It is removed during surgery and a thin bag (like a ziplock bag) is left behind and an artificial lens put in its place.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.myeyeanswers.com/admin/uploads/anatomy-of- the-eye.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.myeyeanswers.com/component/myeyeinfo/%3Ftask%3Ddetail%26id%3D183&usg=__JJkpD-L2rUHMstdM9rQlUUGJXYk=&h=369&w=449&sz=40&hl=en&start=0&sig2=ZyO34Sf3sBXiPFJPAvqZBQ&zoom=1&tbnid=FkUrdBB2_YrRzM:&tbnh=142&tbnw=188&ei=FdzLTcD8MoLo0QHz9sXFBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Danatomy%2Bof%2Bthe%2Beye%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D940%26bih%3D904%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=647&vpy=414&dur=1311&hovh=203&hovw=248&tx=108&ty=91&page=1&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD