Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I recently (10 days ago) had surgery to repair "lazy eye"

Customer Question

Hello: I recently (10 days ago) had surgery to repair "lazy eye" (both eyes). I now have double vision. After a visit to the doc., I now have scotch tape on my left glasses lens. It stops the double vision but puts severe strain on my right eye.My double vision has not improved-when I remove my glasses. HELP!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you know why you had crossed eyes at your age?

Customer:

from birth

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Well, as you know, 10 days after strabismus surgery is way too soon to start worrying about continued double vision. The scotch tape trick works well.

Dr. Rick :

If you still have diplopia in the future (a term open to definition....) then you doc could do an 'adjustment' surgery. Or, maybe, you have adjustable sutures? Although they would already have been adjusted......

Customer:

Will double vision end gradually or quite fast?

Dr. Rick :

You will not damage your right eye by using it more or straining it.....

Dr. Rick :

It varies from patient to patient......hard to answer that one, except with a "yes" :o)

Dr. Rick :

The fact that you are having double vision is good. That means your vision is ok in each eye, that your eyes are close enough together to overlap and that your brain will be working to fuse the images