Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

A sudden occurence of a red light in one eye...no nystagmus,

A sudden occurence of a red light in one eye...no nystagmus, or bluring of vision...pupils equal and react equally to light and accomodation...last a few brief seconds...started 24 hours ago and occurs every few hours.....BP normal....
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I am a retina specialist. Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

What type of medicine does your husband practice?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

pediatrics

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Does this brief red light kinda like a flash and then it is gone, with everything back to normal

Customer:

yes that is exactly what happens

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause of your symptoms is a poster vitreous detachment (PVD). A PVD is a common event that happens in many people.

Dr. Rick :

What causes them? Well, you have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes the bugs or dots are not that evident and the flashes are the primary symptom, which is what I believe is happening in your case.

Dr. Rick :

Oops. I see you have gone offline......

Dr. Rick :

have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

Dr. Rick :

Oops hit the wrong key....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

do I have to take any meds

Customer:

thank you very much and you have been most helpful and will see the doctor in the am.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Looks like you are not back online. We can 'text message' back and forth if you would like to continue to work on your issue. I am still here :)
No. There is no treatment necessary (other then making sure the retina is OK) or (normally) available for this condition.