Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I awoke a few days ago with complete blurriness in my left

eye, and a strange apparition...
I awoke a few days ago with complete blurriness in my left eye, and a strange apparition floating in my eye. I previously had detached retinal surgery in that eye in Jan. 2010 at which time, my central vision never returned.
However, upon visiting my surgeon with this complaint of blurriness, he advised me that this was a neuro optomological problem and to see a doctor who specialized in this field. I did, and he advised me that based on my x-rays, it showed that blood was not feeding into my optic nerve. I also explained about this so-called apparition I was seeing, and he said he had never heard of it before. However, he is sending me for a blood test to see if there's an infection on the nerve, and if that might be the cause. He also said that this condition can usually clear up by itself given a number of months.
What I'm trying to find out now is, should I take this further for a second opinion, or is the advice he's giving me correct?
5/8/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is difficult to know if the advice/diagnosis of optic neuritis is correct without actually having a look at you, but that is consistent with what you are saying.

Dr. Rick :

I believe that the apparition you are seeing is from what is called an entoptic phenomenon. This happens normally in certain circumstances and can also occur with damage to the visual system. It is caused by your brain trying to "make sense out of" the abnormal signals that it is receiving from the damaged tissue, in this case, your optic nerve.

Dr. Rick :

I do not see the need for a second opinion at this time as you have already got an opinion from a doctor best trained to diagnose and treat this condition.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Do you agree with this diagnosis and prognosis from this doctor, or in your professional opinion, is there something you'd like to add in the form of advice?

I agree with the diagnosis in as much as I am unable to examine you. What you have said makes sense.....
I am not a neuro-ophthalmologist so I hate to second guess an expert in their own sub-specialty, however in my experience if damage to the optic nerve and subsequent loss of vision is due to a decrease/lack of blood flow to the optic nerve, that loss of vision is pretty much permanent.
If it is due to inflammation or a treatable infection the vision can return, although rarely to its previous level, and this return of vision is never a sure thing.
Does that make sense to you?
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD