Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Can a Stye be under the eye and not on the top eye lid?

5/7/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If you mean, can a stye occur on the lower eyelid, under the front of the lower part of the eyeball, yes. It sure can. Can a stye occur inside your orbit, way back under your eyeball where you can't see it, but it pushes your eye up and out of the orbit? Nope.

Dr. Rick :

Here is some information on the treatment for a stye:

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to the chat room. I was just working on your question....

Customer:

Thank you...I think I know what caused this...I just started having symptoms this morning..with slight pain under my left eye...and a slight bump forming on my lower lid close to my nose

Customer:

so...a good washing with warm compresses should heal this infection?

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

Yup. Better then any antibiotic drop/ointment/pill. Hot compresses and good old fashioned baby shampoo.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD