Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

The prescription for my eyeglass is this; RE:PL-0.75x180,

Customer Question
LE:PL-0.75x180. please what does it...
the prescription for my eyeglass is this; RE:PL-0.75x180, LE:PL-0.75x180. please what does it mean?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
5/6/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Hello and thanks for your question. What this prescription means is that in both eyes you have a little bit of nearsightedness (myopia) and a little bit of astigmatism.

Does that answer your question? I'm not sure if you needed to know something else about the prescription?

Dr. Dan B.

ok thanks.i'd like to pick an over the counter eyeglass with this prescription,what shld i look out for?i see most over the counter eyeglass,come in positive or negative strenght.is mine positive or negative?

Actually, from what I've observed in OTC glasses, I usually don't see glasses that come in negative (nearsighted or myopic) power. Usually they only come in positive (farsighted or hyperopic) power because they usually try to target the population that is starting to need reading glasses at around age 40-45, which requires a positive or plus powered prescription of glasses to correct for.

In addition, there aren't any OTC glasses that you can buy that correct for astigmatism that you have a need to correct.

Does that make sense?

Dr. Dan B.
it makes sense.10q.what does the PL stand for?
pl stands for plano. This means when the glasses are measured in "minus cylinder" or format, there is no measured myopia or hyperopia but it is mildly present when measured in plus cylinder convention.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.