Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My dad is a diabetic. His doctor suggested he increase his…

My dad is a diabetic...
My dad is a diabetic. His doctor suggested he increase his insulin dosage and he had a lantus insulin reaction (which he had once before in his life). He was perspiring, got dizzy and tired and had some blurry vision. He rested and went back to his usual dosage of insulin the next morning. He was better the next morning after resting, but he now feels like he may have a cataract in his eye. My dad is 81. If it is a cataract, is there a chance it could be lasered and removed like his previous cataracts?
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/5/2011
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes sure

Doctor DanB :

Did your father have cataract surgery in both eyes already? If so, when?

Customer:

one moment please..i'm trying to ask him by phone...

Customer:

I couldn't get through to him, but my sister said it was probably more than 5 years ago...but i'm not sure if it was for one eye or both eyes

Doctor DanB :

The reason I ask is because once a cataract is removed it doesn't come back. Why does he feel like he has another cataract?

Customer:

because he says he sees a "film" over his eye

Doctor DanB :

And that film is new ever since this incident with the insulin reaction?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

his eye appointment is on tuesday but i was just trying to figure it out a bit before we go

Doctor DanB :

Do you know how much worse his vision is now. after that incident than it was before?

Doctor DanB :

If the vision really is significantly worse in that eye after that incident than right before it, then it is possible that something else other than a cataract happened to his eye.

Customer:

he said he can see, but its not as sharp..he told me he never had a n operation on that eye

Doctor DanB :

Okay, I see. It is certainly possible then that this is a cataract. And cataracts do tend to follow diabetic patients like dust follows wind.

Customer:

they told him that...yes the opthamologist said that to him once before

Customer:

have you ever heard of that happening?

Doctor DanB :

If it turns out that it is the cataract causing his vision problems, then I see no reason why he should not be able to have the cataract removed by surgery. However, just an FYI, the surgery is done with ultrasound breaking up the cataract instead of laser.

Customer:

i did not know that...how long does the procedure take and what is the recovery time?

Customer:

also...does it make sense that 8-10 years ago it was done with a laser?!?

Doctor DanB :

I don't think that the cataract formed that quickly in response to just this one episode. It was likely there for some time, gradually, but slowly getting worse. It is usually that a person has the sudden realization that the vision in the eye with the cataract is bad. This happens quite often when a person has a medical event that they may cover one in during. The procedure itself usually takes around 20-30 minutes and the recovery time is very short (usually less than a week for restricting activity). That's a good question about the laser. Cataract surgery has never been done with a laser in the past although as of the last year or so, a select few are using lasers to do certain portions of the surgery. If he had a laser surgery associated with a cataract 8-10 years ago it may have been to remove a cloudy membrane from behind his lens implant that was placed in his eye at the time of his cataract surgery in his other eye.

Customer:

well i guess we really have to wait and see

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions I can help you with regarding this problem?

Customer:

do you think this requires a specialist in cataracts?

Doctor DanB :

Every comprehensive ophthalmologist is a cataract specialist as this is the bread and butter surgery for any ophthalmologist.

Customer:

that is another question..he currently sees a general eye doctor in southampton ny...

Doctor DanB :

Is he a cataract surgeon or is he an optometrist?

Customer:

is there any other reason he might see a film over his eye?

Customer:

opthamologist...they do lots of surgery there

Customer:

uh oh its a little blurry and theres a spot that comes up in the corner..like lines

Doctor DanB :

It is possible that from that episode he may have had a stroke in the retina or optic nerve. This is unlikely but possible. Also possible that this could represent a new floater or floaters in the vitreous from this episode.

Customer:

he said it's like a web in left eye, right corner towards the bridge of the nose

Customer:

can floaters be fixed?

Doctor DanB :

Yes, floaters can be fixed, so to speak, but for the most part, they usually just get better either by breaking up a bit, drifting out of the view of the patient, or the brain learning how to ignore them. Surgery is the only way floaters can be permanently removed.

Customer:

thank you for presenting some possibilities, i appreciate your advice and information!

Doctor DanB :

I'm happy to help. Any other questions I can answer for you?

Customer:

just one...is a specialist of some sort necessary if he needs surgery?

Customer:

is there some cutting edge place in manhattan that he should visit if there's a problem?

Doctor DanB :

If he were to get the surgery to remove the floaters, then yes, this would need to be done by a retinal specialist. However, most people don't get this surgery because it is a major surgery with not a trivial risk of complications. If he needed to he could see the folks at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. 310 E. 14th Street
New York, NY 10003
(212)(###) ###-####/p>

Customer:

thank you so much!

Doctor DanB :

You're quite welcome.

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

i know..thank you

Doctor DanB :

Good luck to you and have a great day.

Dr. Dan B.