Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I hope this question could be answered by someone. We are in…

I hope this question could...
I hope this question could be answered by someone. We are in the adoption (from China) process and came across the file of a 4 1/2 yo boy who had an eye removed due to retinoblastoma.
I know here in the US a prosthesis is made really pretty quickly but this has not been done for this child. My question, is there a time limit of how quickly this must be done? Can a child have no eyeball for an extend lengh of time then surgically have a prosthesis placed?
5/5/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is possible for a child to have no orbital prosthesis for an extended period of time and then safely have one put in later.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that there has been delay in the development of the bony orbit where the eye was removed from, either from the lack of any replacement volume in the orbit and/or any radiation treatment the child may have received, but this should not be a major problem.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Yes it does, thank you. I do not believe this child has had any radiation since it seems the surgery was all that was needed, and it has been almost a year since his eye was removed. I can't imagine a prosthesis in an orphange in China is high on the list of priorities.

Somewhat sadly, our neighbors little girl had the same issue and is the same age as this little boy and her prosthisis is wonderful and you can't even tell it isn't 'natural' .

Thank you again!

My pleasure.