Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I just received word from my sister blood vessel behind her…

Customer Question
I just received word from...
I just received word from my sister blood vessel behind her right eye burst and for now she is legally blind. We could not talk because she was waiting for ride to go have her car picked up.
Would she have had headache before this happened? What causes blood vessel to burst?
Is this condition permanent? Will she regain her sight again? Can blood vessel burst behind her left eye also?
In event this is permanent and she could lose her left eye also, what should she be thinking of doing to prepare herself for world of darkness?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
5/3/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Blood vessel which has burst behind the eye - most likely to be from vitreous hemorrhage. In this condition there is a bleed in the vitreous which is a thick gel present in the middle if the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The cause of bleed is due to formation of new blood vessels in the retina.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Now new vessels in the retina can be seen in diabetes, central vein occlusion to name a few important ones only.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is a painless condition and would not be associated with any eye pain or headache.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is not a permanent condition as the blood clot can be removed by a vitrectomy surgery.It is done by a retinal surgeon.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How much of eyesight will be regained would depend on the vision prior to the episode . But post vitrectomy , in presence of a healthy macula( central part of the retina which is responsible for most of our vision), there should be improvement of vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Whatever is the predisposing factor for the vitreous hemorrhage, it will be posing the same risk to the other eye also. This can be prevented in the other eye by getting a dilated eye exam done by an ophthalmologist, if new vessels are found in the retina then laser photocoagulation needs to be done.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is better to consult an ophthalmologist preferably a retina specialist so that each of the eye can be treated.

Customer:

How often should she have her eyes examined now that this has happened?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For the present line of treatment, the earlier the better. As I said to prevent the other eye from a similar episode getting laser done at the earliest is better from prognostic point of view.

Customer:

I am her older siste, 70 yrs of age and I have eye exam every year. At same time, I have eyes dilated. Does doctor check for new vessels in retina along with macular degeneration and I can't think of the other eye disease right off.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes , during the dilated eye exam , if there are new vessels in the retina they should be picked up( even if it were to be done for macular degeneration).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does this address your concerns? Is there any other query which I may answer for you?

Customer:

The other eye disease I was thinking of is glaucoma

Customer:

Thank you. i appreciate receiving your answers.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Glaucoma does not cause a vitreous hemorrhage.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are welcome.I'm glad to have assisted you.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist