Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My eye itches so I rub it, And now it looks like it

deflating, and I feel like...
My eye itches so I rub it, And now it looks like it deflating, and I feel like I heve something in my eye. What sould I do??
5/1/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well there is a few things you can try at home that should help.

Dr. Rick :

What is the name of the drops you are using?

Customer:

hi

Customer:

Tobramycin Ophthalmic

Customer:

About a week ago i had conjuntivitis

Dr. Rick :

ok., that may not help, but it won't hurt anything.

Customer:

Is it serious?

Customer:

my eye is squishy

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause of conjunctivitis this time of year is a virus...which an antibiotic like tobramycin will not treat. The good news is that it runs it's course in a week or so.

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision?

Customer:

not bad

Customer:

I constantly feel like I have something in my eye

Dr. Rick :

That squishy feeling may be chemosis, or swelling, of your conjunctivia due to either some type of allergy, maybe a little dry eyes and, most likely some blepharitis. Also, it may be some left over irritation from your bout of conjunctivitis.

Dr. Rick :

Feeling like you have something in your eye may be from a small scratch that you got when rubbing your eye. This will usually heal in 24 hrs.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a 'handout' that talks about some home therapy you can try. Don't pay too much attention to the stuff about dry eyes...I don't think you have that...

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Customer:

and what about the deflation?

Dr. Rick :

Give this a try for a few days.

Dr. Rick :

I do not think your eye is deflating. That is called phthisis bulbi and, if your eye was doing that, you would be blind in that eye. I think it is just the weird feeling you are getting from the irritation you are experiencing.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

it looks like a small fold in the bottom of the white part of the eye

Customer:

that is what I saw in the mirror

Dr. Rick :

That small fold is swelling of the skin around your eye (conjunctiva) and is, most likely, from some sort of allergy.

Dr. Rick :

The swelling is called chemosis.

Customer:

can I also use Antihistamine Eye Drops?

Customer:

I think is for allergies

Dr. Rick :

They will help take the swelling down in the short run, but they tend to just cause more irritation in the long run.

Dr. Rick :

try some of the allergy pills I mentioned above....

Dr. Rick :

And stop the tobramycin drops. They are not doing anything for you at the moment.

Customer:

ok.. should I cover my eye?

Dr. Rick :

No. That is not necessary....but it is good for getting sympathy points from the ladies :o)

Customer:

jaja ok. Thanks

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day :)

I hope you feel better soon...
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD