Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I woke up this morning with a small very dark patch under my

Customer Question

hi.
i woke up this morning with a small very dark patch under my eye - on the nose side. a few hours later and it has spread. i had a similar one under my other eye a few weeks ago. what are they? and why are they appearing?
thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

my question was:

Customer:

Customer:

i bruise very easily too, but have not bumped my eye

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

Is this patch on the eyeball itself or more the eyelid/below the eyelid?

Customer:

eyelid - so i'm not sure this is an 'eye' question

Dr. Rick :

It's the orbit....so it counts as an eye question :)

Customer:

:)

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Customer:

not that i am aware of ... i don;t take any medicine. i thought maybe i am lacking in something?

Dr. Rick :

When you had the same thing a few weeks ago, how did it change/resolve over time? Did/do you have any other symptoms associated with this dark spot?

Customer:

it took a few days to fade and disappear. not aware of any other symptoms

Customer:

i do lack energy tho - am tired alot

Dr. Rick :

Ok. This is most likely, just as you surmised already, a bruise. Does this mean I have to split my fee with you? lol!

Customer:

yes!

Customer:

lol

Dr. Rick :

Anyway, you should not be bleeding in this area normally. In order for you to be able to see the bruise under the skin I would tend to be a fairly large bruise

Customer:

i don't recall ever bashing myself in these places

Customer:

and the patch was about the size of a small fingernail when i first saw it.

Customer:

?!

Dr. Rick :

No, I understand that. And even though you said you bruise easily, this is not a normal place to have spontaneous bleeding. Since you are having the same thing under both eyes I do not believe this is due to a local vascular problem, but rather, represents a systemic bleeding issue.

Customer:

o - and it is not sore like a bruise either.

Dr. Rick :

No, it wouldn't have to be sore as there was no trauma involved in making the bruise....

Customer:

i see. weird. just had a quick look -its thumbnail size now - looks like an ink blot ... slightly darker at the edges - weird

Dr. Rick :

I think a trip to your GP is in order for a complete going over and some blood tests. You mentioned that you are tired lately, although that could be from staying up for days watching The Wedding......but I still think it should be checked out :)

Dr. Rick :

but the other "bruise" went away, correct?

Customer:

it did.

Dr. Rick :

ok, so much for melanoma then.....guess that's a good thing, eh?

Customer:

hehe - indeed.

Dr. Rick :

=)

Dr. Rick :

We pretty much missed the Big Event here in the USA but, from what I saw on CNN it was quite a wedding....

Customer:

it was indeed. o - and i never watched it - haha. was walking the dog then got back to find the 'i do' bit was over. ?

Dr. Rick :

Better to spend time with the dog anyway....

Customer:

yes.

Customer:

right so the eye ink-spot is a mystery? may be a lack in something and is a bruise-like thing? and i should go to GP?

Dr. Rick :

I'm fairly confident it is from bleeding in your orbit. This is a very rare place for spontaneous bleeding to occur so it, defiantly, needs to be worked up by your GP. I'd not wait a long time as it would be no fun if the next bleed were to occur in a structure slightly more important.......like your CPU.

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

good point. yes it does. thankyou. i shall book an apt asap.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. It is always fun to chat with my friends across The Pond, as Winston called it so long ago.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

haha - i've only lived here 10 years - i was even further away before that (South Africa). Thanks for your help

Dr. Rick :

I've never been to South Africa....all you Europeans make us Yanks seem so provincial lol!

Dr. Rick :

Have a great day. I hope you get to the bottom of this issue soon.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.