Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had what i can only describe as a continual watery wave in

my right eye, in the...
i had what i can only describe as a continual watery wave in my right eye, in the right area of peripharel vision and in my lower centre peripharel vision. this lasted about fifteen mins and made me feel dizzy and light headed,. any ideas?
5/1/2011
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes at the moment

Doctor DanB : Have you had a headache with this?
Customer:

no not at that time. i dont have many headaches in general

Doctor DanB : Does anyone you're related to have migraine headaches? Any light-sensitivity or nausea with this?
Customer:

my mother had bad headaches when she was alive ...and i have had real belters in the past but certainly none in the last few months or so

Customer:

and light sensitvity and occasional nausea too...in the past

Doctor DanB : Did you ever have strange visual phenomenon with any of your bad headaches in the past?
Customer:

only the fact that i couldn't even bear to open my eyes..the light hurt so bad...

Doctor DanB :

Did the watery wave you experienced have a sudden onset or a gradual onset? How about resolution--sudden or gradual?

Customer:

it went as quickly as it came...i blinked a lot to try and clear it which had no effect whatso ever. i just sat and waited for it to pass. it freaked me out....and i didnt know whether to call the doc or go see the eye hospital or book myself an eye test. but as it went...i did nothing. i am curious now as to what it COULD have been and whether or not i should worry

Doctor DanB :

From everything you've told me, this sounds like a migraine-like phenomenon.

Customer:

my eye feels wierd...i can only describe it as feeling very slightly too big for the socket...does that make sense? also...wouldn't a migraine be painful in someway. this wasn't painful in any way..just disorientating

Doctor DanB :

The sensation you describe is not uncommon with a migraineous phenomenon. As far as migraines, a typical migraine headache starts with shimmering or flashing lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises, but everyone's pattern is different; some people don't have any of these other symptoms. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
The visual phenomenon that people experience with migraines do vary from person to person but often involve blurry vision with a lighted phenomenon; many people describe them as shimmering, but most consistently is an abnormal lighted visual phenomenon associated with blurring or hazy vision.

One of the less commonly known features of migraines is that many persons can have this visual migraine phenomenon without actually having headache; this is called an acephalgic migraine. The spectrum of severity of headaches among migraine sufferers runs the gamut from no headache to severe, debilitating headaches. I think you have had an acephalgic migraine episode.

Customer:

ok thanks...finally...should i have an eye test to be on the safe side or should i not be unduly worried

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I agree, I think you should have a thorough, dilated eye examination to make sure all is well inside the eye.

Customer:

thanks ...this has been helpful...goodbye

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you.

This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.