Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have had new lenses in both eyes since Nov. 2010 cataract

Customer Question
surgery. When I wake up...
I have had new lenses in both eyes since Nov. 2010 cataract surgery. When I wake up after a significant sleep period (overnight or several hours in duration) it can take me many minutes for my eyes to adjust to the light. Sometimes as long as 10-15 minutes. I have trouble reading and/or focusing until my eyes eventually adjust.
Is this normal, or do I have a potential problem?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
4/28/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Dr. PG :

Hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

kindly give me some more information regarding your question

Dr. PG :

what lenses were implanted in your eyes?

Dr. PG :

momofocal or multifocal intraocular lens?

Dr. PG :

are you using and lubricating eye drops?

Dr. PG :

are you on any medicines for diabetes/hypertension etc?

Dr took me off drops two months ago
Monofocal lenses
gyiperide, onglyza and enalapril
with warfarin
thanks for the information
The commonest cause of blurred vision/difficulty opening eyes/focusing after sleep is due to dryness of eyes. This is more so after a cataract surgery. To overcome that you can use lubricating eye drops like systane/optive/refresh tears 2-3 times a day and a lubricating eye gel like genteal eye gel just before going to sleep. These medicines are available over the counter.
This should help in your problem of focusing in the morning.
As far as reading is concerned, you might need a re-evaluation of your reading glasses, but first I would recommend you to use the lubricating eye drops to see improvement in symptoms.
Regards
I may not have accurately described my symptoms. I'll try again: rather than focusing, it's thart I am overcome by normal room light as if it was blinding light. This can last for up to 15 minutes before my eyes adjust. My eyes also itch frequently, on the eyelid and the skin over and under the eye socket. I have 3/4 inch long 'rashes' under each eye that are approximately 1/4 inch wide. and i have flaky skin between my eyes on the forehead and on the skin under my eyebrows. This condition has existed for years prior to my cataract surgery.
The additional information does help.
Given your symptoms, it seems that you might be having some allergy also (itching, flaky skin etc). The allergy might be perennial. You do need a combination of anti-allergy eye drops with a lubricating eye drop. The fact that you are not able to tolerate bright light for sometime after sleep is a symptom of dryness of eyes. You can try over the counter anti-allergy eye drops like naphcon, visine etc. But you do need to use a lubricating eye drop as well.
Regards
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Dr. PG
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist