Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I just got hair dye in my eye. It burned but I flushed it…

I just got hair dye...
I just got hair dye in my eye. It burned but I flushed it with water of about a total of 10 minutes. My eye is very very red and swollen. Should I do more
4/13/2011
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hair dye into the eye amounts to a chemical injury to the eye. The first measure to be taken here is to give the eye a thorough eye wash , which you have very rightly done.

Customer:

My eye could also be irratated by the massive amounts of water I used.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In addition to the eye wash start putting lubricating eye drops ( refresh tears/systane) frequently. Though the irritatant would have got flushed out of the eye, its effect may persist for a few hours longer.

Customer:

How frequently do you recommend?

Customer:

Do many people go blind from hair color. If so it would seem that there would be lots of blind people

Customer:

What should I look for if I need to get more help

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Now it would have become more like an allergic reaction( espicially with the redness and swelling). The lubricating eye drops can be put once in 3 hours . No, one would not go blind with a small amount of hair dye entering the eye, thankfully.

Customer:

It was a golb of hair dye, It happened while I was putting it on

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To reduce the allergic symptoms you can put over the counter Alaway/Zaditor ( ketotifen) eye drops , 1 drop twice a day for 2 weeks. It has anti-inflammatory as well as anti-allergy properties.

Customer:

What does systane mean

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Systane is the name of one of the lubricating eye drops .

Customer:

I have Refresh upstairs. Do I need to go to the drugstore tonight

Customer:

Refresh is made by Allergan

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just look out for symptoms such as persistent watering and pain along with redness in which case it would be better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist. You can use the Refresh tears eye drops which you have. Just try with the lubricating eye drops tonight, if the eye is swollen tomorrow the start with Alaway eye drops and if the symptoms of redness persist( along with pain) beyond 5-6 days,then consider a visit to the ophthalmologist. If symptoms begin to reduce then just continue with the above treatment for 2 weeks.

Customer:

Thank you so much. This is a a great service. I might never go to a Dr's office again

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome . Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

Dr Desai was very knowledgeable and had a calming effect on me. I was really scared. She was percise and prompt with her recommendations. Thank you Dr Desai for being part of this service.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist