Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

During a recent op for retina detachment and cataract

Customer Question

during a recent op for retina detachment and cataract surgery a speck of blood is on the middle of the pupil It shows up as look through my glasses like dark red fingerprint.What
can the surgeon do to remove it ? It covers the centre of the vision df my right eye and he says he will do the op in six weeks time when the eye has settled down after the recent
surgery. h poole.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Let me make sure I understand what is going on. You had surgery for a retinal detachment and cataract. Is this correct? If so, did you have both the cataract removed and the retina detachment repaired at the same time, with just one surgery, or did you have the cataract removed, then later had a detachment fixed?

Customer:

I am ready to receive your answer

Dr. Rick :

I'm here. Did you see my question above? If not let's switch to Q&A format. It is slower, it's a lot like text messaging, but it works better sometimes

Customer:

I had both done at the same time

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I am a retina specialist in Wisconsin and can help you with your question. Did your surgeon say you had a vitreous hemorrhage that he would remove? Also, for your retinal detachment, do you know what type of surgery she did? Was it a scleral buckle, a laser treatment, a vitrectomy with gas/fluid exchange etc....the more you can tell me the more specific of an answer I can give you.

Customer:

It was victromy with silicon oil

Customer:

I meant victrectomy

Customer:

that is as specific as I can be

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, it would be unusual to get blood behind or around the silicone oil bubble but it does happen. I agree with not rushing to remove the oil as long as the retina is attached and there isn't any subretinal bleeding or macular issues that she can see. If the oil is removed too quickly there is a very high chance the retina will detach again. The fact that silicone oil was used in your surgery tells me that you had a complicated detachement.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I understood :o)

Customer:

yes but what will he get it of with

Dr. Rick :

So, to answer your question. She will remove the oil and, at the same time, remove the blood. She may then fill your eye up with a long acting gas bubble (C3F8) or fill it back up with oil. There are also other surgical options, but that will be decided either just before surgery or during the actual surgery itself

Dr. Rick :

He will enter the back of your eye just like he did with your original surgery and "suck out" the oil and blood.

Dr. Rick :

and then he will either replace the empty space with a special salt solution (BSS) or gas bubble, or more silicone oil.

Customer:

yes but what will he scrape it off with

Dr. Rick :

Do you have an intraocular lens inside your eye now? And if so, do you think the blood is actually stuck on the lens?

Customer:

ok . sorry I am so slow. that makes sense

Dr. Rick :

That's ok