Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Sudden loss of vision in right eye

Customer Question
sudden loss of vision in right eye
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/7/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like what you are suffering from is something called Amaurosis fugax (AF).

Amaurosis fugax is the transient loss of vision in one eye. It has many causes and, in the early 1990's, a study called the Amaurosis Fugax Study Group defined and grouped them to help with diagnosis and treatment of this problem.

What can cause AF? It can be due to an embolism, problems with the blood, problems with the eye itself or, sometimes due to no cause we can figure out (idiopathic). I would be happy to go through all the different diagnostic possibilities in each of these categories but I don't think that is the best use of your time.....you need to know what to do.

AF is a symptom that something serious is wrong. It can be a warning that you are heading toward a dangerous vascular event such as a TIA, stroke or even death. It is important for you to see your ophthalmologist and possibly your internal medicine physician ASAP. What will they do? A complete history and physical, a complete eye examination, maybe a fluorescein angiogram of your retina, laboratory tests, possibly ultrasound of your carotid arteries or an CT/MRI of your head.

Treatment depends on what is found on the above workup.

I can not stress enough the need for you to be seen for a complete exam as soon as possible.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD