Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had my eyes checked today and he found a lump in my eye

Customer Question
and is sending me to...
I had my eyes checked today and he found a lump in my eye and is sending me to a specialist. . . . what could this be and what causes it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
4/7/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James
What type of specialist is your doctor sending you to?
Did you notice the bump?
Where is the bump located exactly?
He's sending me to a retina and vitreous disease specialist. . . . I saw the lump in a picture they took of my eye. . . . . . hard to tellwhere it is, below the retina.
Common masses in the eye are choroidal melanomas. Similar to bumps on the skin you can have these bumps in the eye. Often times, these bumps are of no concern. The worry is that it can be cancerous. Unlikely bumps on the skin, bumps on the eye are difficult to biopsy.

The retinal specialist will do different tests and look at the bump to determine if it is worrisome or not. He will measure the size of the bump and possible inject dye in your veins to take pictures of its blood flow.
what is the treatment?
Treatment depends on the size. If small, then your doctor may choose to watch it. If large, your doctor may choose to laser it or radiate it. If the mass is very large, then removal of the eye may be necessary.

As you can see, there is a wide range of treatment.
Dr. James
Dr. James