Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Idear sirs, im 48 and all my life ive been plagued with a

idear sirs,
im 48 and all my life ive been plagued with a lazy eye.
i had a correction done when i was very young but i still have a squint.
have techniques improved over the years wher a correction can still be had that 99 % successfull.
if so can you advise on who i should talk to.
ta
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did you have a surgical correction ? Post surgery your eye still appears to squint , right?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the vision in the affected eye? Lazy eye is the common word for amblyopia, in which the brain refuses to accept the vision beyond a certain level and the vision remains reduced inspite of any futher treatment.

Customer:

yes i had surgery when i was very young.

Customer:

i went through a patching exercise to teach my brain to use both eyes. Right now i where glasses and still have to correct my vision because one eye is slightly worse than the other. I know when my eye is in the squint position because the vision is clearer from using the stronger eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Patching is done only during childhood before the amblyopia sets in .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

At this age , further eye surgery for the remaining squint will only serve for cosmetic purpose and will not help to improve your vision.

Customer:

i would be happy with that, im too old for 20 20 vision. how successfull can this surgery be and is it available on the NHS. must i be referred from my GP

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Accuracy of any squint surgery is difficult to be predicted and a slight under or over correction in the best of hands can always occur . But it is usually a few degrees and should not be much of a problem. You would need a referral from your GP to an ophthalmologist or preferrably a squint specialist( A squint specialist is also an ophthalmologist with additional training in the speciality). I need to check out if it is available on the NHS.

Customer:

Ok if you could advise on the availability that would be great. thanks for your advice.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just checked out and found that squint surgery is available on the NHS. You would need a referral from your GP to an ophthalmologist who can guide you further to a squint specialist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

For more information in this regard you can follow this link- http://www.lazyeyesite.org/whatnow.html

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist