Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been to an eye doctor and she said that I have 25/25

I have been to an eye doctor and she said that I have 25/25 vision and .25 astigmatism. I have been prescribed glasses for this. What exactly does these results mean and are glasses really needed? Thanks

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi doc! Could you please explain to me further what 25/25 vision mean?

Dr. Rick :

Not sure. that is non-standard notation. Usually vision is measured at 20 feet in the USA so the top number is XXXXX If we assume that this follows the same rule, it would mean you have perfect, normal vision.

Customer:

Oh ok. But if I had 25/20 vision?

Dr. Rick :

To answer your question. No. Do not waste your money on glasses that have only .25 diopters worth of astigmatism. It would be a sin for some eye doctor to even think of selling them to you.

Dr. Rick :

20/25 means that you have to 20 feet away from a word that "normal" people can see clearly from 25 feet away. It is one line "off of perfect" on the standard eye chart.

Customer:

So having .25 astigmatism doesn't really mean that I have to wear glasses? What if I have really bad headaches? This is one of the reasons why I had myself checked

Dr. Rick :

I would not blame headaches on such a small glasses Rx. .25 diopter refractive error should not be the cause of any headaches you are having.

Dr. Rick :

were you examined by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist for these glasses and the headaches?

Customer:

Ophthalmologist

Dr. Rick :

Did she want you to buy these glasses to solve your headache problem?

Customer:

What she said is that I would need glasses to solve my eye problem

Dr. Rick :

hmmm.....that refractive error shouldn't solve anything. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Dr. Rick :

do you know what the sphere part of the glasses is? Was it; Plano +.25 x (whatever)?

Customer:

i saw the doctor right it on a presecription never really gotten to remember what it was.

Customer:

I already got the glasses she prescribed :(

Dr. Rick :

well, if there is a large number in front of the .25 of astigmatism, that would make sense. The way you wrote your question I thought that the glasses only had the small amount of astigmatism and nothing else.

Dr. Rick :

although with 20/25 vision when not wearing glasses, the prescription can not be all that much....

Customer:

im kind of a little misinformed since after she diagnosed me, i didnt get the chance to ask my doctor to explain further her diagnosis.

Dr. Rick :

If you take your glasses off and look at something across the room, about 20 feet away (something smallish) how does it look? Now, put the glasses on. Is there a difference that you can tell?

Customer:

so im kind of jumbled up which led to me seek more info about astigmatism and nearsightedness.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand how you could feel that way...

Customer:

hmm... its kind of blurry..

Dr. Rick :

Ok. blurry without.....

Dr. Rick :

how about with?

Customer:

its clearer with the glasses on.

Dr. Rick :

Well, there you have it. I bet there is more to those glasses then the tiny bit of astigmatism. If you had the complete Rx I could tell you exactly what is going on. But from our little test, it seems like the glasses will help you.

Dr. Rick :

Now. What happens if you don't wear the glasses? Will you get warts or go blind?

Dr. Rick :

No. Won't hurt you a bit :o)

Dr. Rick :

does that help a little?

Customer:

The only difference I can feel as of now with and without my glasses is that everything especially signs that are far get blurry...

Customer:

and i feel like i need to squint my eyes every time i take off my glasses to focus on something..

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, give the glasses a chance. If you want, you can ask the place that made your glasses for a copy of the Rx, or ask your ophthalmologist, and you could come back here and we could go over it in detail. I'd be happy to bore you with all the minute detail of nearsightedness and astigmatism ;)

Dr. Rick :

That is called pinhole effect. When you need glasses, but don't have them you can squint to see better, to a point that is.....

Customer:

but you know, i just noticed the squinting after i had my glasses. because i thought everything looked pretty ok to me. but after having the glasses, and everything looks clear, when i take it off, it becomes a little blurry...

Dr. Rick :

Ahhh....now you have shown your brain what a clear world looks like....and it is no longer happy with thing being a little blurry. It may take 3 weeks or more for your brain to settle into the new rx.

Dr. Rick :

It's kinda like when a woman gets her first pair of fancy shoes....now every pair has to be fancy, and need different shoes for every occasion. The old tennies are no longer adequate.

Customer:

I like that comparison. :)

Dr. Rick :

At least that is how it seems to us guys......

Dr. Rick :

The mysteries of life........

Customer:

Most of my family members are already wearing glasses.. and they're really bitter that why I haven't been complaining of eye problems....

Customer:

So it takes around 3 weeks for my brain to adjust to the glasses, is that right?

Dr. Rick :

You know, young children can need such strong glasses from birth that they are legally blind. But, because the know nothing else, they figure everyone sees things that way and they don't complain. You situation is kinda like that to a point...and also like the shoe thing too. lol!

Dr. Rick :

maybe less, but give it at least that long before throwing them at your ophthalmologist.

Customer:

hehehe... more of like in denial.. :)

Dr. Rick :

A river in Egypt?

Customer:

oh i wouldn't wanna throw my glasses... its quite pricey coz I got the kind of fancy one since I didn't wanna look really dorky or strict. hehehe..

Dr. Rick :

Women can be that way.....

Customer:

throw my glasses to my ophthalmologist i mean..

Dr. Rick :

gotcha

Dr. Rick :

Anything else I can do for you tonight? It's getting late on my side of the planet and I've go surgery all day tomorrow. How would you like to have a tired retina surgeon mucking around 1mm away from your retina?

Dr. Rick :

And I need all the beauty sleep I can get (per The Wife)

Customer:

alright doc. I'm already convinced and satisfied with the answers i got from you today.

Customer:

oh yes, beauty sleep is very important. thanks a lot.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. It's been fun chatting with you. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?

Customer:

hehe... Thanks so much. Have a good night's sleep. :)

Dr. Rick :

Thanks. You too.

k