Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a small dot trimmed in black and its center is yellow

just floating around my left...
I have a small dot trimmed in black and its center is yellow just floating around my left eye. i sometimes get this small pain come around the bottom of my eye has happen twice. and my eyes get red in color and wattery.
4/4/2011
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Floaters are suggestive of some kind of an issue with the middle or back of the eye( vitreous) and is not associated with any pain/redness/watering. If the floater keeps coming and going out of vision and is not kind of a fixed black spot then it is most likely arising from the vitreous. It can be seen in case of posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

PVD is a condition in which the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its retinal attachment as a result of aging. During this the retina gets irritated or kind of stretched and gives rise to the symptom of flashes of light. Once the vitreous gets detached , it gets clumped and gives rise to the symptom of floaters ( wavy line/cobwebs/black strings). It is otherwise a harmless condition which needs no further treatment except for the fact that very rarely it may induce tiny peripheral retinal tears. Now these retinal tears can be detected by a dilated eye exam and if found they can be safely sealed with lasers. If left alone the retinal tears have a remote tendency to get converted into a frank retinal detachment. The visual acuity remains more or less good except when obscured by a large floater.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The pain ,redness and watering are symptoms arising from the more anterior( front of the eye) part of the eye and are unlikely to be related to the floaters.

Customer:

are you saying that i need not do anything at the moment are should i have it looked at.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It would need a thorough eye exam by an ophthalmologist to know the exact cause of the pain,redness and watering. Because such symptoms if occasional , can occur from eye fatigue or even dry eyes ( long hours in front of the computer or reading). But if persistent then they could arise from inflammation from inner layers .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

These symptoms would need a closer look if significantly persistent.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How is the vision in the affected eye?

Customer:

Its fine i see well

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any associated itching in the eye? Any known allergies?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'm right here waiting for your response. I can see that you are typing ....

Customer:

well i do have dry eye and there is some itching at times. I find myself rubbing eyes alot and i work long hours two eight hour jobs

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though I cannot confirm or tell exactly what the issue is without a proper eye exam, but I guess you could be having allergic conjunctivitis apart from dry eyes. With that many hours of work I can understand how much of eye fatigue can be there. It is better to use lubricating eye drops regularly such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day. For symptomatic relief from itching you can use over the counter Alaway/Zaditor eye drops , 1 drop twice a day for 2 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the eye symptoms do not improve with the above treatment then it is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist. At the same visit the dilated eye exam can also be done so as the confirm whether the floaters are from PVD and that there are no peripheral retinal tears which need to be addressed by lasers.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist