Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a 54 yr old female. I have a dark growth (spot) on the

I am a 54 yr old female. I have a dark growth (spot) on the colored part of my eye. It is irritatiing . It comes and goes --thought it was an allergy--but know I see it. It is like there is a piece of dirt in my eye, but it does not move. Tried flushing it with liquid tears. Doesnt move. Please advise best and worst case scenario. Emergent or non-emergent. Will try to get in to see my ophthalmologist early next week.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

ty

Dr. Rick :

It this something that you can see actually inside your eye, on the iris, in the mirror?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

more on the eye

Dr. Rick :

can you take a picture of it? I can show you how to post it here.

Dr. Rick :

ok, so on the outside of the eye...

Customer:

i will try to take a picture with my cell phne

Dr. Rick :

does it look something like this, only maybe not so bad:

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Here's one way to upload a picture:

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer:

cant get my camera to work. sorry

Dr. Rick :

No problem.

Dr. Rick :

Does it kinda look like the picture above?

Customer:

no does not look like that. it is a black or very dark spot. very much like a piece of dirt

Dr. Rick :

In the picture above you can see a blue circle (the iris under the cornea) surrounded by white tissue <conjunctiva> (ignore the growth in the picture for now). Is your black spot (not to be confused with the famous Black Spot of Pirate lore) on the clear cornea or the conjunctiva, or does it involve both?

Customer:

it is a small spot on the colored part of my eye

Customer:

small--like a wart or a piece of dirt.

Dr. Rick :

But stuck on the outside of your eye where you can touch it, correct?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

And it is not on the white part at all, just stuck to the clear dome (cornea) covering the colored part of your eye (iris)....am I getting it? Sorry for all the questions but it is important that I understand where it is at -- much easier when I can just look, eh?

Customer:

yes.

Dr. Rick :

Whew! Ok. Got it. Does it move when you touch it with a qtip or is it firmly stuck down?

Dr. Rick :

Also, is there more then one?

Customer:

seems firmly stuck down. cant move it. only one on the one eye

Dr. Rick :

One last question. Is it located kinda on the outer edge of your cornea, or more toward the middle?

Customer:

lower half of eye, half way between edge of color and white and the pupil--on the colored part

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well. Sorry for the questions.....now I think we can finally get to answering yours :)

Customer:

no worries

Dr. Rick :

First of all, this is a non-emergent issue that can wait until next week or so when you can get in to see your ophthalmologist.

Customer:

great

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of your growth is called a salzmann's nodule. This is a localized area of inflammation of the cornea, many times for no apparent reason.

Customer:

what causes it and will it go away by itself?

Dr. Rick :

They require no extensive treatment. Many time just lubricating them frequently with natural tears, sometimes wearing a bandage contact lens will get them to resolve.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, most times they go away with this simple treatment. If not they can be removed with minor surgery using a scalpel (superficial keratectomy) or a laser (PRK)

Customer:

k

Dr. Rick :

Of course, you noticed how difficult it was for me just to figure out where they were on your eye using "chat" as my only clinical tool.....so, after exam, they may turn out to be something else. In any event I am very confident that your issue is non-emergent

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

it is irratating. makes sense, any causes?

Dr. Rick :

They can be irritating.....if extensive they can even decrease your vision. The primary cause is inflammation, sometime so minor that you don't even notice it. Perhaps bad karma? lol

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Any other questions you would like to discuss with me?

Dr. Rick :

Hmmmm...I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if I can do anything else to help. Have a good day.