Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I live in Australia and just this week ,about five days ago

Hi my name is Brendan, I...
Hi my name is Brendan,
I live in Australia and just this week ,about five days ago i was in the garage removing
asbestos sheeting. I think i may have got some dust from this in my eyes.I washed my eyes out with saline but still have that sandy feeling in my eyes it hurts quite a bit.Can you give me some advice?
Sincerely
Brendan.
4/1/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Rick :

hi

Customer:

Hello how are you?

Dr. Rick :

Asbestos usually crumbles apart and is made of really fine, needle like pieces. It is possible that this dust, made of mico-sized needled is stuck under/in your eyelid.

Dr. Rick :

Is there someone around who can give you a hand with a little home treatment, or would you rather just skip this step and go see an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

I think i would rather see a profesional

Customer:

Would an optometrist be able to help?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, the best person, like I stated above, to see is an ophthalmologist. Using the high magnification of the slit lamp, numbing drops and small, pointy tools, she will be able to see if any of the fibers are stuck in or under your eyelids.

Dr. Rick :

In the meantime you can get some nightime lubricating ointment (one brand name is*****) and goop up your eye. This will blur your vision but should help to protect your eye from any fibers.

Customer:

So they can see them even if they are extremely small?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, an optometrist may be able to help. They have the same equipment it's just a matter if they know how to use it to the best effect.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. With the magnification, and sometimes special stains and a blue light, they can see the fibers. They can also "sweep" under your lids to remove anything that is too small to be seen. You would be surprised how something very, very small can feel like a huge rock when it is stuck under your lid :o)

Dr. Rick :

The take home message? You should not suffer any long term, serious damage from this....

Customer:

One other thing i forgot to mention is i saw my gp for an earlier incident for my left eye last week for a foreign body of unknown origin and he gve my chlorsig as my eye was weeping and now this happens.Will i be able to take lubricatng drops still?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. You can still use the lubricating drops. The chlorsig will be of no benefit for the condition we are discussing now.

Dr. Rick :

I've never been to Australia and really want to come visit so, if you like, you can fly me down from Northern Wisconsin and I'd be happy to take care of this for you....no charge even :)

Customer:

Ok will stop beating around the bush with this one will go get referral for opthalmologist as this is causing me some distress friends tell me of problems like eye cancer and the like.Oh i would like to have a visitor and free eye care bonus.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It's not cancer at least. Hopefully I will get down south someday before I'm too old to enjoy it.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Are there any other concerns or issues you

Dr. Rick :

would like to discuss with me?

Dr. Rick :

If not, have a great day? (What time/day is it down there?) It's Friday, 5:30pm here...

Customer:

No thats all for now thank you for your help and enjoy your day.It is Saturday 9.30 am Thanks Doctor

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Enjoy the weekend.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD