Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello. I developed shingles last week on the left side of

Hello. I developed shingles last week on the left side of my torso. For the past 2 days, my right eye has felt jagged and tonight it has started burning in the right corner. I have had 5 vitrectomies on my left eye and have no useful sight in it. I am obviously concerned about what effect getting shingles in my good eye might have. Is there anything that I might be able to do? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Usually when you get an outbreak of shingles it stays along the same dermatome during the outbreak. This means that a shingles outbreak on the left side of your torso would not be expected to affect your right eye, nor would you expect to have a separate outbreak along a completely different nerve/dermatome ( your eye).

Dr. Rick :

However, if you are severely immune compromised, such as after chemo therapy or if you have AIDS, all bets are off.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. I am a retina specialist by day and a justanswer eye guy by night :o)

Dr. Rick :

After all is said and done, however, I can understand your concern when it comes to your only working eye. I suggest you use some tear replacement drops this evening and put some refresh PM (or similar) ointment in your eye tonight before bedtime ( the ointment will blur your vision.....) and see how things feel in the morning.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your answer. However, if happens to be shingles developing in my right eye, is there anything I can do or my eye doctor can do?

Dr. Rick :

There is nothing you can do but your ophthalmologist, after a complete exam to make sure what is going on, will have a number of treatment options available.

Dr. Rick :

Since you only have one good eye if you are still worried tomorrow morning have it checked out just to be sure.

Customer:

Thank you. I appreciate your advice and will follow it. You have been most helpful.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.