How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having bruise like pain around the outer rim of my eye.

Resolved Question:

I am having 'bruise' like pain around the outer rim of my eye. It feels like I have been struck about the eye. I have no bruising or redness, but I did have slight swelling or puffiness around the left side of my face two days ago. I was totally asymptomatic yesterday... When I blink and/or squint the pain becomes more acute. I don't recall getting struck in the area, what could be causing these symptoms?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Dr. James :


Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any change in vision?
In what area on your face is it the most tender?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No change in vision, pain is most acute in the corner of my left eye. When I say corner I am refering to the corner furtherst away from my nose. Pain feels like is radiates up and around into my eyebrow and under my eye. The area close to the bridge of my nose has no discomfort at all.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

You may have developed a skin infection around the eyes called a cellultiis. This can happen with a bug bite you are not aware of or start from an infected gland. I'd recommend you see a doctor for evaluation and prescription of antibiotics. In the mean time, use warm compresses over the eye.

Sometimes the infection can spread to the tissues around the eyeball, in which case it would be an emergency. If you develop change in vision, double vision, or eye pain, then you need to seek medical attention promptly.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you