Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My eye doctor diagnosed me with blepharitis and gave me

Customer Question
blephamide drops with the instruction...
My eye doctor diagnosed me with blepharitis and gave me blephamide drops with the instruction to use one drop at bedtime as needed when I have symptoms that aren't going away. I don't know what "as needed" means in terms of the number of concurrent days. Can you help? I know because it has an antibiotic in it, I shouldn't take it for too many days in a row. Thanks!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
3/18/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi -- Thanks for the help.

Dr. Rick :

I must confess that I don't like to use antibiotic drops to treat blepharitis. As you have notic

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Oops. You hit accept in the middle of my answer...let's keep working on your question.
As I was saying, I believe that natural tears and lid scrubs works better in your situation.
I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.
Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production
Does this make sense to you?
I've give this treatment about 3 or 4 weeks to kick in
Relist: Answer quality.
Didn't answer the question.
I am still here and in the middle of answering your question. I need more information from you to give you a good answer.
Do you still want to work on your question with me?
If you want to use the drops you can use them 3x/day for 10 days and see how things go...the lid scrubs will work better though....
Hi-
Sorry, I haven't used this site before, so I clicked "accept answer" when I meant to click reply to expert.
I misunderstood your answer, and thought that your suggestion was to be on the medication for 3 to 4 weeks but I get it now. The prescription noted "once a day at bedtime as needed," but didn't give me any more details so not sure how long I need to take at that dosage to be effective.
Sounds like I should do this run of the medication (I started two days ago) and then go back to your original suggestion.
I think you could just quit the drops and go to plan B: Natural tears, warm compresses and good ole-fashioned baby shampoo :)
I hope you feel better soon.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD