Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Looked into the sunlight yesterday and suddenly black spots

appeared inthe peripheal vision of...
Looked into the sunlight yesterday and suddenly black spots appeared inthe peripheal vision of my left eye. That went away but now have a round shaped balck spot still int he peripheal vision of my left eye. What is this?
3/18/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

I havent received any answer yet

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm still here. You hit the accept too soon. Let's work on your question :)
just reply to me in the box....we can still "chat" using this system, but it is slower....
How is the vision in your other eye? Has this spot changed at all since you first noticed it?
I never found the oroginal answer to my question
We are working to answer your question now.....
How long did you stare into the sunlight? Do you have any medical conditions or take any medicine/drugs?
Also, did you see any flashes of light? Are the spots still there, kinda floating around?
I only looked for a second or so before the dark spots started appearing. I have rheumatoid arthritis and currently methotrexate and have been off all steriods for one year. No other health problems. The little spots have subsided but the one spot is still there
Sometimes I see flashes of white light around the black circle
Ok. It is possible that the little spots are from a vitreous detachment and that the large, round shaped, black spot in the peripheral part of your vision is a retinal detachment in progress.
why would I get this and what should I do?
The flashes of white light around the black circle make me very concerned that you are in the process of detaching your retina.
This need to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist THIS MORNING no matter what. Left untreated a retinal detachment will lead to total blindness.
Does this make sense to you?
As to why would you get this? It just happens, there is nothing that you did to cause it.
I am glad, however, that you got online to see what it could be....
Do not eat or drink anything on the way to the ophthalmologists office.
Does this make sense to you?
Are you still there?
now I am worried
I can understand that. The good news, however, is that you central vision is not affected at this time and you can still see well out of that eye. If the detachment is fixed before the macula (the part of the retina that is used for your daily vision, such as reading, watching TV etc) is involved your chances of having excelling vision post-op are dramatically increased.
The best thing that can be done with a retinal detachment is to catch it early....and, if you do actually have a detachment in progress, you have done just that - caught it early.
So. Try not to worry and get in to see an eye surgeon as quickly as possible. Don't let the office tell you that they can't see you right away.
Like I said, without actually seeing you in my office I can't, of course, be 100% sure that this is what is going on. But, Retina is what I do all day and I'd feel better if you had a complete eye exam in the next few hours.
Than you so much and I am calling the ophthamologist office as we speak. anything else it could be?
That is the most likely thing it could be.....after you see the eye doc drop me a note and let me know what she found. Thanks!

Dr. Rick

Just wanted to let you know that I have a retinal tear and am scheduled for surgery tonight at 6pm. I'm very nervous but I am sure I will do well. Thank you for your concern

Thanks for letting me know how things went. I do these types of surgeries all the time and I'm sure you will do fine. Did your retina specialist say what type of surgery she was planning? Do you have any questions you would like to ask me? No extra charge :)
I am scared and want to know about the recovery.They are putting a band around the eye.
Ok. That is called a scleral buckle. You eye may look like raw hamburger meat after the surgery but don't worry about that. Also your glasses prescription will change and, as such, your vision may be worse after the surgery.
Your doctor will also do some laser or freezing treatments around the tear to help the tear scar down and sit on the buckle well. This is a tried-n-true way to fix retinal detachments due to a tear.
You will not need to do any special positioning after the surgery (such as laying face down) and will be using a couple of eye drops for a few weeks or so.
The recovery is fairly quick as far as being able to get back to your normal daily activities. Some jobs you could conceivably return to on Monday.
Will you be going all the way asleep for the surgery?
Ok. That will make things easier on you -- you'll wake up and everything will be done :)
Best of luck to you. And Remember: You caught this early, before your macula was involved, so you should have the best outcome possible.
Let me know how things go. Now. Go relax for a few hours...

Hi Dr. Rick

You were right and thank yiou again. They did the gas bubble and the buckle,. He said the surgery went very well and your were right again about the importance of acting on symptoms early before it becomes complicated. I have some sorness and I clearly see the bubble at the bottom of my eye which they told me was good too. When I awoke this morning and saw that bubble, I thought oh no they didnt fix it. I just want to say again that your advice was excellant and in a timely fashion. You are a great doctor and if I was ever in your area I would certainly retain you as my retinal physician. Again, you saved my eyesight and I thank you.

I am very glad I could help. I am sure the doctor told you that you won't be able to see worth anything until the bubble goes away. There are two common gases he could have used: SF6, which will last about a week, and C3F8 which will last about 3 weeks or so. Also, as I'm sure you know, the gas will cause a cataract to form in the near future (months to year or so) which can be addressed with normal cataract surgery.
I,actually, didn't save your eyesight. YOU did that by getting information about your condition quickly -- all I did was supply the info. :)
Please keep me informed of your progress. You can drop me a note at justanswer. Email addresses, unless they are "spelled out", are blocked by the system.
Best of luck to you.

Dr. Rick

One more thing if you dont mind, the surgeon did say that he went behind the eye for the gas bubble instead of through the eye, to minimize the consequence of a cataract. Is this correct?

that is the normal place to put the gas bubble -- in the vitreous cavity. I would still, however, bet that you will get a cataract in the long run. No big deal though....a cataract is an easy fix compared to what you have just gone through.
How's things going so far?

Hi Dr. Rick

I think I am doing very well. My eye still feels as though I have been punched, but the vision is quite good and the blood is really starting to go away. I hope to be able to get glasses soon, as the vision in my right eye is worse than the vision in the left. I still clearly see the gas bubble but it seems a bit smaller than the days before. All in all, I think I am recovering well. I usually do, but I always seem to have the strangest things happen to me. I am now concerned with even blowing my nose or sneezing for fear I will dettach something again. I hope your day is going well for you and thank you for your concern.

You need not worry about blowing your nose or (as if you could stop it anyway) sneezing. That shouldn't hurt a thing.
It will be quite a few weeks until you are ready to get new glasses...and don't forget about the cataract that you have scheduled into your future :o)
It's good to hear that things are on the mend. You have a very good chance of having excellent vision when this is all said and done -- and all because you got yourself to a retina doc in a timely fashion.
It's snowing here. May get up to 18 inches. I just may have to break the snowmobile out of storage for one last ride.
Glad to hear that you are doing well.

Hi Dr. Rick

Snowing here also, but fortunately for me I cant shovel. What a shame tee hee. Have fun snowmobiling and make sure to cover your eyes with a shield. You have been more than nice about still talking to me. I wish you the very best and I will let you know if a cataract appears, i just wont accept it. I keep saying that one willnot appear, call me skeptical but positive about the outcome. I go to the retinal specialist tomorrow at 2:00. I will let you know how that goes. Have a great day to a great doctor. You know you could of been the kind of doctor that told me to wait and see if it goes away on its own, you know there are some docs out there like that. I was very lucky and blessed to have come across a doctor like you.

Thanks for the thinking such nice thoughts about me.....but I'm sure most doc's would've done the same.
Where on the planet are you?
Take care.

Hi Dr. Rick

Followed up with the doctor today and he said that my eye was healing very well. No more drops, no more patch, no more restrictions. Sure now he tells me that and yesterday I took a shower, without bending, washed blow-dried and straightened my hair. have you ever tried to do your hair without bending your head over???? I know its different for you men. Anyway, just waiting for the bubble to clear and vision to get better and I am on my way once again.

I am in the beautiful four-seasoned state of Michigan.

Good to hear. I used to live in the U.P, eh.
You must be a troll.....live under The Bridge :)
I have never owned a comb or a brush...just wash and wear hair.
Live in lower part of Michigan near Ann Arbor, but grew up on a farm in Ohio during the summers, lots of work but also lots of fun. When I was in my teens then we started to go to upper Michigan to vacation. Go to Petoskey and Traverse City and Walloon Lake quite a bit. Love the great outdoors, love the smell of the great outdoors. Anyway and where are you? Where did you live in the UP? You are lucky and your hair looks great in the picture.
My dad gave me the hair. I hated it when I was a teenager and love it now....
I lived in Ironwood, on the far West side of the UP. I now live and practice in Northern Wisconsin.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD