Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had discharge and redness from both eyes on and off

I have had discharge and redness from both eyes on and off since January. My Primary physician put me on antibiotics and antibiotic drops in February. after about 8 days, they improved. Last weekend, it all came back and worse. I had burning, pain and more discharge that was yellowish white. I have been using my antibiotic drops at least once a day since 2/9/11. I saw my opthalmologist 3/15 and he said I was doing more harm than good by using the antibiotic drops that long. By that time, the discharge was better, I just had irritation. He started me on steroid drops 4X's a day. I noticed today the discharge is back and getting worse by the hour. It's grayish white. And the redness is back. I don't go back to him until the 22nd. Should I allow more time for the steroid drops to work?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I would stop the steroids and all antibiotics.

Dr. Rick :

Start using preservative free natural tears frequently and clean your your eyelids with babyshampoo.

Dr. Rick :

I would bet that your underlying problem has been blepharitis and all this subclinical use of antibiotic drops, steroids and such has mucked things up,.

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I see you were typing but nothing showed up on my screen.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if you would like to discuss this topic further.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was trying to type but my eyes have a film of gook over them! That's something I haven't hear yet. I notice after a shower the gook is loose. I will try that. Seems like my eyes are worse since the steroids. Thanks!
My pleasure....and thanks for the bonus :) Hope you feel better soon.