Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

If a person was blind for 9 years would they see again. The

Customer Question
If a person was blind...
If a person was blind for 9 years would they see again. The nerves are still there and they see persons shadow when they pass.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
3/14/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you know why they are blind? Are they blind from central vision loss (legal blindness) or lights out, stone cold, can't see anything blind?

Dr. Rick :

also, optometrists don't do surgery, ophthalmologists do.....just FYI :)

Customer:

cant see anything . diabetic

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

that most likely means that their loss of vision is due to damage to the retina. I am sorry to say, but there is nothing that can restore vision once the retina is dead or damaged.

Customer:

in Bahamas the doctor said that it was the lens that was damage

Dr. Rick :

If the person you are talking about wanted to "leave no stone unturned" they could contact the folks at Wills Eye Hospital, Retina department. They many times have research projects going on and, I think , they are involved with the implantable vision chip.

Dr. Rick :

Damaged lens can be fixed.......

Dr. Rick :

If it is just damage to the lens, then there may be hope for restoring vision.

Customer:

where is this place

Customer:

where is willis eye hospital

Dr. Rick :

Philadelphia, PA, www.willseye.org

Dr. Rick :

but most any ophthalmologist should be able to help with an issue of vision loss from damage to the lens.....

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

• Company: Dr John Rodgers MB BS

• Address: Harbour Bay Shopping Center

• Town: Nassau

• P.O. Box: [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

• Island: Nassau / Paradise Island, Bahamas

• Area: Harbour Bay

• Phone:(###) ###-####/li>
  • Fax:(###) ###-####/li>

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rogers is an eye surgeon on Paradise Island.

Dr. Rick :

Here's another eye surgeon:

Dr. Rick :

• Dr Geoffrey Sweeting

• Address: Nassau Sight Centre Bldg., #*****/li>
  • Town: Nassau

• Phone:(###) ###-####/li>
  • Fax:(###) ###-####/li>

Dr. Rick :

Are either or those eye surgeons near you?

Customer:

he would be ble to tell if the retina is gone?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i live 1o min from Paridise Islad

Dr. Rick :

yes, that is the first thing the eye surgeon would check. There is no need to have a retina specialist do that.

Dr. Rick :

That would be great if your friend could get his or her vision back after all these years.

Customer:

yes it would i have seen my friend over 15 years and buck him on the street he w blind say the sugar is bad

Customer:

what normally kills the retina in the eyes

Dr. Rick :

I would get him to one of the eye surgeons above and see what can be done.

Dr. Rick :

The diabetes causes "bad" blood vessels to grow in and on the retina. This causes swelling, bleeding and rips the retina off the back of the eye. When this goes untreated nothing can be done to restore sight.

Dr. Rick :

But it doesn't sound, from what you are saying, like this is what is going on with your friend. Damage to the lens can be addressed by almost any eye surgeon.

Customer:

persons with the retina gone can see persons shadows or feel there eyes jumping?

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes, depends on if there is any retina left alive. The eye docs listed above will easily be able to evaluate the retina and, after a complete eye exam, tell your friend what his options and chances to restore vision are.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

where are you located?

Dr. Rick :

Northern Wisconsin, USA

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist and do not deal with issues of the lens, unless I'm forced to..... :o)

Customer:

I am really hoping that his retina is not gone he was blind from 31 and he is now 40

Customer:

so young

Dr. Rick :

The only way to find out is to have a good exam by an ophthalmologist.....and it sounds like you are very willing to help him do just that.

Customer:

yea i will call one of the above in the morning

Customer:

one more question please

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Thanks for being such a good friend....we all need them at some time or another. Sure. No problem....

Customer:

if his retina is goodan it really the lens what is roughy that cost on a surgery like that

Dr. Rick :

In the USA removal of a damages natural lens and placement of artificial intraocular lens costs about $2,500 or so.

Customer:

so both eyes would be like about $6000

Customer:

would both eyes be done one time or how would it be done

Dr. Rick :

I bet you could get it for less then that........but, ya that would be the high range.

Dr. Rick :

No. You never do both at once. Usually you do one eye, give it a chance to heal and then do the other. Sometimes they can be done as close together as one week, sometimes more. Depends upon the surgeons preference and the patients particular conditiion.

Customer:

both doctors here know you?

Dr. Rick :

No. I don't think they would. I got their numbers from the American Academy of Ophthalmology website that lists all qualified eye surgeons that meed our standards

Dr. Rick :

Plus, I must live at least 4,000 miles from them :)

Customer:

was thinking you visited here before

Dr. Rick :

I would love to....I SCUBA dive and I'm sure I could find a lot to do around Paradise Island

Customer:

you sure can

Dr. Rick :

Maybe some day when my three daughters get married off so their husbands can start paying for their shoes ;)

Customer:

lol

Customer:

i guess this week i will know if my friend would see again

Dr. Rick :

I will keep your in mind and hope for the best.

Customer:

thanks so much i feel like i know so much aboout eyes now

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. This is what I like about just answer....who would have thought that I would be doing consults thousands of miles away from my home?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Take care and give my best to your friend. If he has retina issues feel free to contact me again and I'll do all I can to help.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD