Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Are there different types of toric astigmatism implant

Customer Question
lenses?...
Are there different types of toric astigmatism implant lenses?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 2 days by:
3/13/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are two brands of toric intraocular lenes available for us in the United States, the first one that was approved by the FDA is called the Staar surgical IOL. There are two models of this lens available, one which corrects up to 2.00 diopters of astigmatism and another that corrects p to 3.50 diopters. If you have more astigmatism (this only applies to CORNEAL astigmatism, not astigmatism caused by your natural lens -- which will be removed by the cataract surgery) then this other procedures would have to be done to address it, such as limbal relaxing incisions.

Dr. Rick :

the other approved lens is called Acrysof IQ Toric IOL. It can correct between 1.50 and 3.00 diopters of astigmatism. This lens is also available in blue and UV light filtering models, although the benefit of filtering these wavelengths has not been proven to be of any benifit.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD