Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What is the chance of success for a second retina surgery to

What is the chance of success for a second retina surgery to repair a torn retina.
The first surgery used a laser and a gas bubble. However, the tear persists.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is a good question. Without knowing the specifics of your case, what exactly was done during the first surgery and why it failed I can't give you a meaningful number.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, it sounds like you have a pars plana vitrectomy, gas/fluid exchange and endolaser. I would expect that the next step is a scleral buckle, more laser, possibly cryotherapy and, maybe, even silicone oil placement.

Dr. Rick :

With these techniques most retina detachments can be anatomically reattached, all other things being equal.

Dr. Rick :

As you stated it is possible to use a longer acting gas to form the bubble, thereby giving the retinal tear longer to seal. If he used SF6 he might be considering using C3F8, which lasts about 3 weeks or so, compared to 4 days or so of SF6.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you on this topic. I hope this procedure is successful.