Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had double vision in one eye for over two months, how

Customer Question

I have had double vision in one eye for over two months, how long will I have to wait before anytreatment can be done? (it is very distressing and intereferring with all parts of my life).
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Let me make sure I am understanding you: When you tightly close your unaffected eye you experience double vision. This double vision is present with just the one eye open. Is this correct?

Dr. Rick :

Have you seen an optometrist or an ophthalmologist for treatment of this problem? Did they give you any idea about what is causing your difficulty? Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
of course I have see an ophthalmologistand he keeps telling me to wait. They do not have any idea what may be causing it and no I do not have any other medical problems.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to chat
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
OK. Good. And it is in one eye only, correct?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Are you still there? I'm online now and available to chat with you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
I see you are online and have read my question. What can I tell you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You did not answer my question at all - just asked me lots of questions.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Just trying to get more information so I can give you a meaningful answer.....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a lot of information in my message - I am not happy to have made a payment before any useful answer.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
In order to separate the possible causes of your symptoms I need clarification of what you are experiencing. Since I don't have you sitting in my exam chair I have to ask a lot of questions. Ophthalmology by chat is a lot harder then the way I do it in my office.
If you have the time to clarify your issue I am happy to give you what advice I can. Don't worry about the fact that you've already paid me -- I owe you a good answer :)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. When I close one eye the double vision disappears. I have been told it is Sixth Nerve paralysis and it affects the left eye.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. Sixth nerve palsy has a lot of causes, but most often is is due to a microvascular infarct. The good news is that it usually resolves within 6 months with no residual defect.
I understand that 6 months is a long time to put up with diplopia but it is not forever. I'm sure your ophthalmologist suggest using a patch over one eye, putting scotch tape on your normal glasses or press on prisms. Prisms, however, are not that great of an idea as with CNVI palsy things are changing as the nerve heals so you have to keep buying new prisms.
Does this make sense to you?
Also, sorry about the mix up on the early payment and rash of questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He has mentioned surgery after 3 months - is that too early and is it ever useful?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
I would say that is too early. Unless he has diagnosed a cause of your 6th nerve palsy that would not be expected to improve on its own after 6 months or so.
The surgery, when things are stable, works well although sometimes a second surgery is needed to "adjust" things a bit. I would not consider surgery until things had been unchanged for at "few" months, with "few" being variable depending upon your specific clinical situation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** that in mind when seem him next.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
My pleasure. Have a good day.