Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Half of my my sons eye has been red for over a week and i

Customer Question
have used regular drops, eye...
half of my my sons eye has been red for over a week and i have used regular drops, eye antibiotic and currently patanol. it looked like it was going to clear up with the patanol, but has not
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
3/8/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm still here and available to answer your question
It is possible that your son has a subconjunctival hemorrhage.
In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.
No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.
Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.
There is no need to use drops as this is not an infection.
Does this make sense to you? I'm still available to discuss this issue with you even though you paid me a little bit early :o)
Thank you very much. Hopefully he'll be better soon.
My pleasure. Let me know if I can do anything else to help.
Thank you very much. Hopefully he'll be better soon. When he wakes up it doesn't look so bad. As the progresses, it gets blood shoot.
Hmmm....that doesn't sound like a subconjunctival hemorrhage. Sounds more like some form of allergy.
what would you suggest?
You can try some home therapy first:
The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.
Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.
Give this a few weeks to see if it works, if not I'd have your son examined by an ophthalmologist to see if some other, less common, issue is the cause of his redness.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD