Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I received a copy of my examination report in the mail and

I received a copy of my examination report in the mail and there are a few things that I don’t understand.
The report says that I have mild superficial punctuate erosions. Can you explain to me what this means and whether or not it is progressive? Also, what could be done to make it better?
What are “deep quiet anterior chambers”? Is there any clinical significance to this?
I have a disc ratio of 0.5. Is this normal?
What is the significance of “lattice degeneration OU with atrophic holes”? Can anything be done about this?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

mild superficial punctuate keratitis (spk) is usually from dry eyes. It is a staining pattern noticed when the yellow dye is placed in your eye and examined under the blue light during you eye exam. It is usually not a serious condition and can be improved with the use of natural tear drops.

Dr. Rick :

spk is usually not a progressive problem

Dr. Rick :

deep and quiet anterior chambers is the notation used to state that the front chamber of your eyeball is normal in all respects. It means everything is OK

Dr. Rick :

.5 disk ratio is slightly large, but if it is equal and looks "physiological" it can also be considered normal. If there was something wrong with your optic nerve different terms would have been added here.

Customer:

?The report say superficial punctuate erosins and not superficial punctuate keratitis. Please confirm that this is the same thing. Can the drops make these erosions go away or heal?

Customer:

The report also says I have trace nuclear sclerosis. What is this? Is it progressive? Also, I have grade IV open angles. Is this ok?

Dr. Rick :

lattice degeneration is a peripheral retina problem that is not, in and of itself, a problem. The presence of atrophic holes, however, could put you at risk of a retinal detachment. Many times I recommend preventative laser treatment to these retinal areas.

Dr. Rick :

Trace NS is the most mild sign of a cataract. Yes, it is progressive....but usually very slow. Nothing to worry about. Grade IV angles is completely normal.