Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My eye is blood shot and the vision is foggy. I got an

Customer Question

My eye is blood shot and the vision is foggy. I got an antibotic eye drop, but why is my vision foggy?Will that take a few days to clear up?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of reasons your eye could be red and your vision cloudy. The reasons range from something mild, such as conjunctivitis with abnormal tear film, to serious conditions like angle closure glaucoma attack or intraocular inflammation (uveitis)

Dr. Rick :

Have you seen a doctor? Is your eye painful? How quickly did the redness and vision loss come on? Do you take any medicine or have any medical problems?

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure why my comments are posting twice....must be gremlins in the machine again :o)

Customer:

I started with a sinus infection and then over a course of a week my eye begin to get more red. I work on a computer all day, so by the end of the day my eye is really irratated. I did see a doctor who gave me eye drops and they felt that the sinus infection is more than likely the cause of the eye irratation. I thought as soon as I started using the eye drops the cloudiness would clear up.

Customer:

I'm not on any other medication. It really isn't painful, only at the end of the day it does hurt alittle. I'm working 12 hour days right now.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Hi. I'm still here to work on your question.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.
When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.
Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.
The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.
Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.
Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
You may also have a underlying virus infection as the cause of your sinus problems. In this case, the virus could very well spread to your eye and cause the issues you are having. The good news? The above treatment (tear replacement drops, lid scrubs, warm soaks) will also address any virus infection you may have.
As you know, antibiotics treat bacteria, not viruses, so there is no need for antibiotic drops at this point.
Give the above treatment at least 3 weeks to "kick in" before you start telling all your friends what an idiot I am :o)